Building a watch

Hello,

I am building a watch using a Parnis 41mm PA6050/050 diver case. I bought a Miyota 9015 movement that fits this case. The case comes with a metal spacer ring for the 9015. The spacer ring has clamp recesses, those are visible looking down on the ring. In many other watches the ring spacer looks like it is underneath the stem (stem passes over the notch in the ring). On this the only way to get the spacer ring on is with the notch down hiding the stem. When I add the clamps they are floating, nothing to bite into. In fact they interfere with the screw back when I try to put it on.

I am at a loss for how this goes together. I finally had enough and removed the clamps and just installed the screw back and it seems to be working well. The automatic weight spins unimpeded, movement looks firmly installed. I am worried about the ring notch for the stem rotating and putting friction on the stem. Does anyone have experience with 9015 and parnis cases?

Thanks,

Nick

Hi Nick,

Photos are a must. Snap one of the case with the movement out. Another with the movement inserted as you've been doing. Pics are easy to upload on this site although you should, as a matter of courtesy, resize them so that any members with a slower connection can easily view them as well. 

I see the issue clearly. Good thing that you removed the lint/thread too. Clearly quality control somewhere along the line was asleep at the wheel.  Due to the style of the case back, are you certain that you need the spacer ring? The case back looks as it it will occupy the space between the movement and the case perfectly. 

If your Parnis case has a screw down crown, I fail to see how the movement can shift while in use. I think you've answered your own question. Use it without the spacer ring.

Thanks for the feedback. I tried it with and without the ring. If I don't put the ring in, moving the stem in and out wiggled the dial face, When the ring is in, it snugs up against the inner rim of the case back when screwed all the way down. A weird way of holding the internals in place. I like the hacking feature of 9015, the case is something to be desired. Unfortunately, not many cases to choose from like the 2428-2.

Nick

Then I didn't see the issue as clearly as I first thought. It has to be correct. Did the case supplier offer multiple options for the spacer? Is it possible that the wrong spacer was included? Does the case supplier have a website where you can look for other spacers for your case? Are there any clamping points in the case, regardless of whether the spacer is installed or not?

I tried to message the ebay store for assembly instructions for this case and he said he didn't have any. Ebay listing i bought from:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/41mm-Watch-Case-for-Miyota-9015-Movement-Parnis-Sapphire-Crystal-Wristwatch-Case/202195703720?_trksid=p2485497.m4902.l9144

The movement came with a thin white plastic band that goes around the thickness of the movement not on the ends. On the end, there is a metal notched flat thin ring spacer for the dial to calendar gap. The thicker spacer ring pics I posted were it, you can also see it in the ebay pics.

We really should be able to work this out. There are only so many possibilities. You're obviously missing these as they're needed to secure the movement ring to the case via clamping action on the threads. 

www.ebay.com/p/10-10-Screw-and-Clamps-Tab-for-Watch-Movement-ETA-2824-2834-2836-2892-Case-Part/1131876898

Your movement ring thread may or may not be different. I'm just showing the above for an example. That said, the only way that the ring supplied will work is to insert it beneath the stem. I assume that's the back of the dial that we're seeing in your photos without the ring in the case? Logically? that means the ring will have to go on before the dial is installed. Have you tried it this way?

I can well understand your confusion now.

Try this. Remove the stem from the movement. Place the movement with the groove for the stem facing up. Reinsert the stem. That should be the correct sequence. You will still need the clamps to hold the movement to the case. Once that's all done, you should be able to install the back with no interference.

I tried flipping the spacer so the stem notch is facing up. The problem is it will not fit all the way down on the movement. The ring actually stops on the movement just before the dial. So in other words, it puts the spacer ring higher up with no advantage or locking rail to secure the spacer to the case. In this configuration the screw back will not screw all the way down. I am so tempted to take a sanding cylinder on dremel and making it fit.....I just think there should be a more elegant solution to this, maybe not.

I don't know if the case was misidentified by the seller, since he has no technical knowledge or info on how this assembles. Maybe it is for a different Miyota movement, i don't know. I built 2 other Swiss movements, one of which is a 2428-2 and I never encountered these issues.

If you have access to a 3d printer, I would be tempted to design and print a replacement ring, based on the dimensions you require.

It doesn't have to look elegant, just functional, assuming it is not visible from outside the watch.

I knocked up a spacer for this old Silvana to place the movement in the correct location to allow me to fit the crystal  in a couple of hours. Most of that time was spent learning how to do this in FreeCAD. The actual printing was the easy bit.

There's a thought. I do have access to a new 3D printer at work. It's carbon fiber filled ABS, I might try that. I am also going to machine the ring, I have a 3-n-1 machine in my workshop....didn't think I would use it on watches though LOL.

Thanks all for your help!

• 2 years later...
On 2/2/2019 at 8:45 PM, Macgman2000 said:

Looking for a watch case for a 9015 myself I had a look at the listing you linked to and it says "for Miyota 8215" in the header, and the footer. However, the picture (if you scroll down) says "for Miyota 9015". My guess is that it is for the 8215 which is considerably thicker than the 9015, and that would of course be a problem.

I been searching the Internet high and low for a watch case, ANY watch case, that would fit a Miyota 9015 but I couldn't find a single case, except the one mentioned by you, which is likely for the 8215 anyway. Lots of cases for the 82 series but none for the 90 series, it would seem. Sob!

Reward to anyone who can point me to a case, any case, for a Miyota 9015!