Calatrava

Disastrous watermarks on Rolex dial?

Question

Hi everyone,

Quite some time ago (a good few years) I was wearing my Rolex datejust 1601 in London in heavy rain and high humidity (obviously a British summer). Anyway I noticed that quite a lot of condensation appeared in my watch. I know I know I should have taken it to an horologist straight away but alas. Anyway I pulled out the crown hoping it would allow the moisture to escape. This seems to have worked however the dial is now covered in watermarks which I can only assume are calcium deposits. 

I have seen a thread on the forums where someone removed a small watermark gently using purified distilled water. As you can see in the photo these marks cover the whole of the sunburst dial. Do you think this might be the best way? Or perhaps an incredibly gentle solvent? Naturally I want to be incredibly gentle, especially as I would have to go over the printed text and around the tritium.

I have opened the watch up and taken a very tiny look at the movement and all seems fine - runs accurate and no sign of rust or displaced oils however do you think it's best just to send it in for a service and hope the watchmaker can fix the dial? 

Hold me and tell me everything will be okay.

IMG_20190130_004452.jpg

6 answers to this question

I am affraid the moisture have already taken it's toll and all over the movement too.

I would have taken and do now, take the watch to service centers.  Moisture ruins lubricants. 

In general, as soon as the moisture appears, the dial should be dealt with. Placing the watch under direct sun light or expose to other very mild heat, also taking the movement out to submerge in lighter fluid and blow dry helps reduce the damage, before you urgently get the watch to service man.

There are some treatment to somewhat clean the dial. Depending on the value of the watch,  the job should be entrusted solely to professionals. Do not attepmt yourself.

Regards joe

The original problem will be because the crown seals need replacing. The fact that moisture has entered the watch it should really now be serviced before rust becomes an issue. The dial could be a problem, if it is calcium then distilled water and a cotton bud might work but only try in a small area first.

Where are you based ?
UK ? EU ? Elsewhere ?
There's a great guy in France, atelier-horloger.fr (not a friend or relative), that could take care of that beauty.
No idea how much it could cost but you can ask him a quotation.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Answer this question...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• By beastomaniac
      My Rolex Submariner cal. 3135 won't hack from time to time when I pull out the crown. Is it some kind of lubrication or mechanical issue, is it easily fixable without tearing the whole movement apart?
    • By east3rn
      Hello. Dear watchmakers.
      I have a very old timepiece from Rolex that I am about to work on..
      From googling, I found out that this is called "trench watch" that might had been used during WWI or any other war in that era ( 1910~1920)
      However, I could not figure out the reference no. of the movement. All I know about the movement is that it is 29mm in diameter and has 15 jewels.
      I am actually looking for a replacement movement for this watch since the mainspring must be replaced due to damage.
      Plus, I am also looking for the rachet wheel with "Rolex" engraved to replace the existing one.
      I have found similar movements on the web(the third photo added)  but click part was not the same.
      I wonder if the one with different type of click would have parts that are replaceable.
      To sum up, my questions are
      1) the reference of the movement.
      2) how I can get parts or the whole movement for replacement
      3) does a movement with different click type would be suitable for replacement.
      Thanks and  I wish you a great day.

• By Calvin
      Hello guys
      Why my rolex precision 6466 stops when crown screw down..
      But it runs again when crown not screw down or in manual wind position?
      It stops when the crown enter too deep inside the movement..
      Thankyou
    • By Calvin
      Hello guys..
      My Rolex precision oysterdate date won,t change
      It stuck on 30 and won,t change even i try to set time to the next day.. and the next..
      What happen to this watch?
      Thankyou
    • By timedealer
      Hi All! Newbie here!
      I love Rolex. Not just their watches but also the company's integrity, their values and philosophy.
      Hi Mark, you have great videos on youtube. Thank you so much!