The dreaded mechanical travel alarm clock knobs

cduke

Hello All,

Just picked up a travel alarm clock manufactured by Cyma.  There are four screws to access the back of the clock, fair enough. The alarm winding key, time set and clock winding knobs must be removed prior to removing the back.  The two knobs do not have a set screw or any obvious way of removal. The time set knob obviously turns freely in either direction.  Before I butcher these knobs, does anyone have exprerience removing these curled knobs?  I have read that some of these have a split stem that can be pulled off?  I have also read that most clock repair people never want to mess with these clocks because they are problematic and usually have been worn to a pulp.  Any advice?

Thank you

il_570xN.961623910_on9a.jpg

il_570xN.962048730_4na6.jpg

Edited by cduke
added photos

Hi  The dreaded knobs,  The winding knob is usually screwed on  with a LH thread the hand set knob is usually the split stem type, Have worked on a few of these and have some in my collection as examples of clock they are fiddly things but still repairable  to me a clock is an ornament unless it works thats any clock regardless of pedigree worth repairing although of little commercial value

• Thanks 1

The winding keys/knobs come off opposite whichever direction they wind. The setting knobs are almost always pressed on, unless you see a screw in the center. These pull off with firm force. If they're really hard, you can use a table fork as a lever with some plastic to protect the back.

• Thanks 1