Sign in to follow this  
HSL

Clock for Beginners ?

Ok I have to confess I began to read up on clocks and follow the threads here and enjoying them very much. I have almost gone over to the dark side ;)
As usual when my interest have been triggered I will come with a bunch of strange questions.

1. Is there a clock movement type one should avoid as a beginner?. (cuckoo clocks are already out of the question for now!)
2. Which tools are essential to acquire, I guess most of my watch repair tools are a bit tiny for clocks?.
3. Is there any book clock makers considers as essential reading?.

Hi there on clocks to avoid for the beginner, three train westminsters, Cuckoo clocks arent too

bad if a bit fiddly. American Ansonia clocks are ok but mind the open springs and be careful. Most two train clocks are straight forward enough, Look out for worn bearings and duff pivots. If attempting a french clock be aware that the pivots are glass hard so great care is need when working on these.   Books, Any thing by Laurie Penman, Brian Loomes Mick Watters just google clock repair books the list is long...    Tools  Decent pliers, flat smooth jaw, fine smooth, standard engineering pliers,  small hammer, pin punches, center punch, again look in the books for recomendations. Donald De Carle ' book on clock repairing is quite comprehensive.  Its a differnt world to watches just gear up                all the best

Watchweasol has covered most of it already, but I will add avoid anniversary clocks if just starting out as despite looking simple they can be a real PITA, also avoid fusee clocks as the mainsprings are strong and without a mainspring winder you will never get the spring in or out of the barrel

Stay away from cheap travel clocks or Metamec clocks as they are cheaply made and can cause you extra problems whilst leaning

On ‎1‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 10:42 PM, watchweasol said:

Hi there on clocks to avoid for the beginner, three train westminsters, Cuckoo clocks arent too

bad if a bit fiddly. American Ansonia clocks are ok but mind the open springs and be careful. Most two train clocks are straight forward enough, Look out for worn bearings and duff pivots. If attempting a french clock be aware that the pivots are glass hard so great care is need when working on these.   Books, Any thing by Laurie Penman, Brian Loomes Mick Watters just google clock repair books the list is long...    Tools  Decent pliers, flat smooth jaw, fine smooth, standard engineering pliers,  small hammer, pin punches, center punch, again look in the books for recomendations. Donald De Carle ' book on clock repairing is quite comprehensive.  Its a differnt world to watches just gear up                all the best

Got lot of it and orderd the rest. I even got me a Badishe Movement in a horrible state of course while I was on it.
The Donald De Carle book I bought for a starter was named "Practical Clock Repairing" hope it was what you ment, I have packed it down in my luggage since it will be my evening amusement while I am on a bussiness trip this week.
Thanks for the advice.

Okay done reading and got a practice movement the other day. It's obviously a German Badishe of some kind but seemed to be easy enough for a start. 
Here are some pictures of it but unfortunately I got so excited tinkering with it I forgot to take more pictures.

Dirty_1.jpg

Dirty_2.jpg