Another new bloke.

Squiffything

Hello all. I’m Graham from The Cambridgeshire/Suffolk boarder and have found this forum whilst doing a little research on clock repairs. 

A quick rundown, served redundancy notice at the beginning of the month following 35 years at my job. I need a change so have decided to look into clock and watch repairs and renovations. Mostly clocks which has led me to looking into the BHI distance learning course. 

Have had an interest in time pieces for years and have always enjoyed pulling apart and rebuilding things. I have around 20/30 old record players in various states of repair including old Garrards which fit in quite nicely here. 

Im currently servicing my first Smiths mantle clock that was given to me as a junk piece to get started on. Lovely piece with a Westminster chime. Just waiting on a few tools to arrive and some clock oil to finish off but from a dead scruffy old box to a cleaned beauty with a now working clock it has been a joy. 

Anyhoo hope to to join in whenever I’m able and looking forward to getting some valuable advice from you guys.

• Like 2

Morning Graham

I'm based at the other end of the county, had a similar experience to yours a while ago when the Automotive sector had one it's periodic downturns. A change of direction worked for me and I wish you well with your chosen direction.

I'm a "hobby watch repairer" myself, but there are many members of this forum who contribute with their knowledge and experience that will complement your chosen learning path.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

3 hours ago, Squiffything said:

Im currently servicing my first Smiths mantle clock that was given to me as a junk piece to get started on. Lovely piece with a Westminster chime. Just waiting on a few tools to arrive and some clock oil to finish off but from a dead scruffy old box to a cleaned beauty with a now working clock it has been a joy.

Hello and welcome.

The mantle clock sounds like an interesting item. Any pictures?

Cheers Nad and Andy. With the stress of life at the moment I am having a strange sleep pattern. This morning wide awake at 3.30! But it does let me tinker before I head out to work. 

I haven't taken any piccies yet but will do. I'm going to carry out a full tear down of the movement (it is a piece that has a low value and ripe to learn on) The case has some delamination but overall will not be too much of a problem to sort out.

1 hour ago, oldhippy said:

Thank you for your introduction and welcome to this friendly forum.

Clocks are my thing. I can't wait to help you out. I have around 30 years experience in clocks and watches after serving 7 years as an apprentice. 

:) the one thing I have noticed on here is the time (scuse the pun) that you put in to help all and everyone. I will not be shy in availing myself of your exceptional knowledge. I am just starting out and will soak up the information like a sponge.

Popped home at lunch and my parcels had arrived. Woohoo. I now have a stand. a main spring dewinder screwdriver thingamebob, some C clamps for retaining said springs and a little bottle of clock oil. Methinks the clock might get a seeing to tonight.