seikos three

yankeedog

Hello All, 

Just staying out of trouble today with some seikos, that were purchased for parts from a vendor in The Netherlands.Starting with the one one the left, the movement was rusted beyond practical repair. I replaced it with an NOS Seth Thomas branded 7009 The one in the center was in similar condition. Not a thing is matching on this one, the case and the back don't match for one thing.The hands and movement were pirated out of westclox automatic with a ghastly  chrome case .it was a utc branded 7009 equivalent, 7005  calendar parts were swapped over so movement could work with the dial and case. Totally Franken, but the watch was a lost cause when I got it.The results I think are pretty good. The one on the right was a relatively unmolested 6109 , except for the fact that the previous owner had glued some luminous material to the indexes.It looked awful, some of the residue is still on the dial. The problem with them all, and the two remaining on my bench was gasketing, they were improperly sealed and all suffered to some degree from water , most likely sweat intrusion. I will have to look into proper gaskets for them. Thanks for looking. YD

seikos 3.jpg

• Like 1

Pretty impressive. There's something totally satisfying about bringing a watch back from a certain trip to the landfill. When properly sealed, any of those will make a great beater to wear while working in the yard or any other 'sweaty' activity. My hat's off to you. 

Were that I was as good at avoiding trouble. I just collected a Wenger SeaForce Arctic special edition from the mailbox. Oy! It's a beaut. My poor bank account......

I have a bit of a soft spot for Seiko automatics, and have picked up a couple of basket cases. They clean up nicely, assuming they haven't been too badly molested, and tend to survive many years of servicing neglect that might prove fatal to a less robust movement.

The Citizen calibers ( 0201 etc (and by association HMT 0200 and 6501 and Alwyn (Seiko movements) ) also put up with a lot, and still battle on, as can be seen by the large number of them that turn up on ebay from India with garishly repainted dials or delusions of grandeur (claiming to be a Fortis, Tissot or some such).