What is this bezel part?

Lc130

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  I was just about to recase a movement when I noticed this bent ring in the case.  I haven't tried to remove it.  What's it called and is it part of the case or part of the crystal?  I did notice that the old crystal, which I was able to push out with my thumbs, had a slight lip at the base.  This is a Waltham from late 60's early 70's.

Thank you

Charlie

IMG_3413.JPG

IMG_3414_LI.jpg

Edited by Lc130

I suspect it is part of the case, though not necessarily an integral part. By that I mean it can be replaced, hopefully. I don't think it's the tension ring from the acrylic crystal, as these are on the inside of the crystal, and wouldn't have contact to the case.

I was afraid of that.  The metal seems to heavy to be part of a crystal.  I have one "armored" crystal in desk and the armor seems meager.  I think I can bend down the lip created by using a crystal press. 

That missing "ledge" is from 5 to 7 o'clock position. 

Would I use a compression fit, glue in, or some other crystal?  I've not gotten to crystals yet as this is the first watch I haven't mangled during my learning.

Thank you

I'm just as much a beginner as you are, so I'd be out of my depth giving advice on how to proceed. I've never seen a flange or lip like this, but that's not saying a lot (Dennison). Does it look like a separate part? It looks like it to me from the close-up. Slightly different colour, and an edge to it. I have no idea where to get a replacement though, or how to fit it.

If an experienced member doesn't come along soon to offer some useful advice I would ask Simon on The Watch Forum UK, or contact RePLATEit in Canada for repair advice and a quote.

I'd be interested to hear how you get on.