Seiko 7019 balance wheel help needed

I've been asked by a friend to look at his Seiko 7019 - 7060 which is running ridiculously fast.

Never worked on one of these so am unsure about stripping it down.

The main symptom which I can see is the balance wheel is only moving a total of about 90 deg, hence the fast running.

Any ideas would be welcome as to what is wrong with it.

Also does anyone know where I can obtain Seiko diagrams etc.

Many thanks in advance, Mike

Fast running with poor amplitude, the first thing I look at is the hair spring. Most common causes are;

coils sticking together due to magnetism. Easy solution - demagnetize.

coils sticking together due to stray oil. Easy solution - clean.

coils fouling the underside of the balance cock, or the balance wheel spokes, or the hair spring stud. Not so easy as this usually means a damaged or deformed H/S.

• Like 1

Remove the movement, observe the HS from the side, as balance wheel oscillates so you can see the fault, which can be any of above said.

Or, you may could tilt the movement inside the case, balance side outward. So you can observe the HS.

Check regulator pin, only one HS strand should be held by it.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Klassiker said:

I'd try demagnetising first. Damping the spring (e.g. with Rodico or inside a poly bag) stops it vibrating in harmony with the A/C field. This is something I just learned on a different thread.

I'm curious or confused. Can we have a link please? Thanks

If the watch is new to your friend he needs to be aware that these Seikos need to be shaken quite a bit to build some power. That is the main disadvantage of not being able to be hand-wound.

If the watch has been working well before then the above posts covers the main problem areas.

Cheers!

Anilv

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Melt said:

I'm curious or confused. Can we have a link please? Thanks

Yes, sorry for being so vague. I was talking about the hairspring.

The gist is, if you allow flexible components to vibrate in harmony wíth the magnetic field, the demagnetising effect is reduced or non-existent. Obvious really, but never occurred to me until I read the thread. If the balance and hairspring are out of the movement wrapping them in tissue paper is recommended (by Fried). If the movement is complete, demagnetising whilst it is running apparently works best.