Fly Pinion required

clockboy

Working on a large French clock this afternoon and while assembling the plate snapped shut and broke the fly pinion. Just by any chance has anyone got one of these in their scrap/spares box.

The dimensions are as follows:

It has 7 leaves with a diameter of 2.25mm

The shaft is 1mm diameter

The total length I estimate should be 34mm

I have gone through all my spare clock parts and movements and no luck not even one I can modify.

Pinion2.thumb.jpg.72fbe21f61973e5f2650758937134559.jpgPinion1.thumb.jpg.d2f2435f324c31a0266fb6f77d45e690.jpgPinion3.thumb.jpg.31778bcc4dc633e4c802ae613dbef39b.jpg

I have not got a pinion cutter so re-pivot is not straight forward. Also with such a small shaft I don't think I can drill and insert a pivot end. I am looking at a pinion cap, I have never used one before but at present that is my only option.

8 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Clockboy   They are brittle  on french clocks.  will have a look in my french clock  bits tomorrow, I have a few movements and misc parts. Fingers crossed,   I have a pallet arbour to do someday will get round to it.

Thanks watchweasol I have read that but I am a bit lost with this one. The pivot end is 0.040 so really easy to break as I found !!!!. It's been a while since I broke something but what fun !!!!!!!

Hi Clockboy    I have had a look at what I have, I have 3 fly arbours as follows  7 leaf with a dia of 1.88 shaft length 33.3 and shaft dia of 0.99mm these measurements were taken using a vernier not a micometer so may not be deadly accurate.  What is the movement is the broken one from as these are I think ab mougin/Japy feres units  If you think they will fit or would like to try one no problem just let me know where to send it

23 minutes ago, watchweasol said:

Hi Clockboy    I have had a look at what I have, I have 3 fly arbours as follows  7 leaf with a dia of 1.88 shaft length 33.3 and shaft dia of 0.99mm these measurements were taken using a vernier not a micometer so may not be deadly accurate.  What is the movement is the broken one from as these are I think ab mougin/Japy feres units  If you think they will fit or would like to try one no problem just let me know where to send it

Thanks watchweasel unfortunately they will not fit. The movement is french and is very similar to a japy feres however stamped on the plate is GRANGE & BETOUT A PARIS. I might have found one on the bay and I have also sourced a fly that I think I can modify. Also as a last resort I can make the pivot caps work. The correct repair is to re-pivot BUT i have had failures in the past with this and as the shaft is only 1mm in dia. I don't want to risk a mishap with a customers clock.

PS thanks for your time with this I will update as I progress (hopefully) 

11 hours ago, Lenj said:

Hi Clockboy,

How you getting on with the French clock fly?? I have an old Frence clock plates measure outside 35mm inside 30.4 approx. sizes. any good to you let me know and I will strip, (the clock the is)..

Len

IMG_9221.JPG

IMG_9223.JPG

IMG_9225.JPG

Thanks Len unfortunately just a bit too short. The inside measurement of the clock I have is 32.5 mm outside inside measurement 37.5mm. I think I am going to convert one I have off a large clock but still not sure this will work.  It should be re-pivoted but I am not confident of drilling dead centre in a 1mm diameter shaft. Thanks again Len much appreciated. 

PS I am wondering if a clock could run without one fitted as they are only really a wind brake.

22 hours ago, clockboy said:

PS I am wondering if a clock could run without one fitted as they are only really a wind brake.

The fly acts as a governor without it when it comes to striking it would be so fast God knows what It would sound like, also the spring would rapidly run down.   

Ok I won't do that then.

• Sad 1

On ‎1‎/‎26‎/‎2019 at 8:39 AM, clockboy said:

Thanks Len unfortunately just a bit too short. The inside measurement of the clock I have is 32.5 mm outside inside measurement 37.5mm. I think I am going to convert one I have off a large clock but still not sure this will work.  It should be re-pivoted but I am not confident of drilling dead centre in a 1mm diameter shaft. Thanks again Len much appreciated. 

OK no problem, I had another look, all the others are smaller movements, sorry I can't help. As OH said, without the Fly, it would go like the clappers..Have you had any more luck finding one??

20 hours ago, Lenj said:

OK no problem, I had another look, all the others are smaller movements, sorry I can't help. As OH said, without the Fly, it would go like the clappers..Have you had any more luck finding one??

No luck as yet Len. So I am now attempting to re-pivot but although I have managed to centre the drill on the 1mm shaft I am having issues getting the drill to drill into the shaft. I have broken several drills @ £5.00 each so it is a struggle at present. 

1 hour ago, clockboy said:

No luck as yet Len. So I am now attempting to re-pivot but although I have managed to centre the drill on the 1mm shaft I am having issues getting the drill to drill into the shaft. I have broken several drills @ £5.00 each so it is a struggle at present. 

French clock pivots are like glass, need plenty of annealing, and a slow drill. £5 a pop is expensive drilling, wish I had a fly here for you..Good luck drilling..