Help! Opening A Barrel

FrankG

Place the barrel on a hard surface the way it is sitting in the picture and press down hard while holding the edge, the arbour will pop out the top plate.  If it doesn't, you can prise it out with a screwdriver where the square hole is.

Thanks Geo. I have tried that but didn't want to apply too much pressure as I was worried about bending the shaft (arbour?)

I'll give it another go and put a bit of welly behind it.

This is a scrap movement so I am treating it as a 'learning' piece

Is there anything on the other side? Does the arbor (centre spindle thingy) turn freely?

Don't use too big a welly as force rarely achieves anything, This is not a stainless steel barrel and you may chip one of the teeth off. Force may also distort the barrel/barrel lid to the extent that re-assembly is a problem. Its better if you can find a tube that fits around the barrel and pushes against the whole toothed surface.

Another option is to try a bit of heat.. if you have a hot-air gun use that around the sides of the barrel. if you dont have one then wind some wire around the barrel, (not too tight as you need to leave some room for the barrel edge to expand) twist the ends and leave a tail... You then heat the tail part. The idea is the wire will heat up the edges of the barrel where the barrel lid grips... The lid itself will not see much heat initially. You dont need to heat the wire until its red hot... just hot to touch but let the heat remain for a while.. heat..back off...heat..back off.

Hope this helps.

Anil

• Recently Browsing

• No registered users viewing this page.
  • Topics

• Snap! I recently finished my Gruen 510 movement - though the case for mine is in a rather sad state; I'm going to try re-plating it (in nickel, it's not a gold one).   Re. the screws, I got a few of the one gram mixed batches from ebay. I've only needed a couple of screws for things so far, both rare, minuscule types - but both in the mix, after enough time sorting through them! The ones such as normal bridge screws are quite common in those lots.  
    • Two pins or screwdrivers angled out slightly, pressing through from the barrel centre from the opposite side so they contact just clear of the hole in the lid? eg. Strap pin driver needles or similar.
    • That's a good idea - shrinking down the nut and wrench size from the old casebook trick!
    • I missed this earlier. The dial isn't going into the holder, it should sit proud of it. This is what I am currently using which I print for each different movement.    
    • I didn't think pulling to set position would work harden the spring, in that position it is stressed where the arm starts. By work hardening i meant rapid polishing at that point, a bit like polishing a pivot work hardens as it compresses the steel. I doubt polishing by hand would achieve much in that respect though. Its finished, arm polished up mostly at the join to the bridge's main body. I'm ok with it, the screw holes aren't great as i had to open them up by redrilling and positioning it was difficult, I'm not much use with a loupe, opening up with a file might be a better option for me or i could just use the correct drill size 😅. And the detent is way too deep, i had to guess that with the stem release out of position and sat on top, but i only took one measure and went for it, no slowly slowly catch your monkey 😅. First go I'm happy , well sort of, it works and thats a big thing for me, next one will have a bit more finesse.  Anyone thats interested, after filing, i used a 2000 grade home made diamond  micro file and then 20 micron film, the film is much better than wet and dry, more stable to use and doesn't shed cheap grade grit everywhere , then auto polish on a sponge pad.