Seth Thomas Mantle clock problem

Mattaphysics

So, I bought this used Seth Thomas 1/4 hour strike mantle clock some time ago. It was a little fussy at first but it's been running fine until I moved a bit ago and now it's been fussy again. I of course moved it safely, taking out the pendulum and such. Well it seems to want to stop and always at like X:57 ish when it strikes the hour. Is that a strike train issue? Or the motion works? I cleaned it when I got it because it wouldn't run at all but that wasn't that long ago. I cannot repair bushings yet as I don't have the necessary tools or bushings, but is there something I can do?04c19d5e97e1c627366a2cb8450451fa.jpgec13ce58bce8289bf536b2e271a8e49a.jpg30ac957e135cf4435cd2f32ca816c3c6.jpg

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

As you moved it are you, sure it is in beat that is the most likely cause. The photos are not too clear for my eyes. On the strike side, the hole that the red arrow is pointing at is very worn I can tell by how far the pivot has dropped in the circle. These clocks have powerful springs, but the brass and steel is quite soft and prone to wear.  

imageproxy.jpg

Ahhh... I was hoping it was just the suspension spring, but I figured it was a bushing it needs. How can I go about this by hand? Are there hand reamers? Also I was looking at getting a rotary tool then a drill press to do bushings with if that's a possibility? Also I'd be able to polish with the rotary tool and other stuff. It's like an all in one. As I don't have the funds for a bushing system this seemed like a lower cost alternative that I could do more with as well. Is that a viable option?

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Yes you can buy hand reamers. You do not need a rotary tool or a drill press. Never use any type of machine to polish the brass work or steel work of antique clocks. Bushing systems are a waste of money. I never used them; they do not do a good job on antique clocks.

I will go into things tomorrow in detail for you. It is getting late here in the UK. I have things to do before I go to bed.

Tools and material you need for this type of clock

Mainspring clamps you will need two

A set of cutting reamers

A smallish steel block

Hammer middle size

A few flat punches.

American clock bushings.

If your budget can stretch, you can also buy a set of smoothing reamers. A good set of reamers are not cheap but they will last a lifetime. I had German made and Bergeon. All of this can be obtained from any good clock/watch supplier.  

For you to get the right size reamers you need to measure the pivot. There are many selections of reamers, you do not want to buy the wrong sizes. The same goes for those readymade bushings. This is the most basic to undertake re-bushing. 

If you need any more help just ask.