This Morning , Me Vs Lathe....

jnash

So I bought the lathe a while ago, I've been tinkering but never seemed to get anywhere, after reading up more and more I decided to set a goal of learning how to use the lathe and getting as close to possible to cutting a balance staff. I've got a HUGE way to go but I am appreciating that its all about the gravers and how sharp they must be.

Few pics, this is as close as I got today, maybe tomorrow I'll have a other go. I'm guessing at some point I will need a jacot tool as I don't have the facility to get the pivots small enough without snapping the staff..

07f40a7d729736de292edfc3ca2d6262.jpg

1ee8840d9d3a4446c936cadee655c954.jpg

8f9b9150abf454ff0e8d380892232062.jpg

8e8ce724f9c04997ecb5d4530f65581a.jpg

53ff52da025b2b8a54d2d0afe07e24e2.jpg

I have re-pivoted a balance staff, but as yet I'venot tried making one from scratch.  Like you, it is something I should spend time learning to do properly. 

Well done with what you have achieved so far Jonathan, keep us posted with your progress.

Looking at what you have done so far I don't think it will be too long before you make a complete watch balance staff, well done.

Thanks guys, this wasn't measured it is purely to get used to a graver.I need a jacot tool I think for when I get close.

Geo: Pivoting a tiny balance wheel, I would love to do that, gonna have to try at somepoint.

Well done excellent efforts. This is a really difficult task and I have spent many an hour/day on my lathe trying to produce a balance staff.

I am now convinced that a jacot tool is the key + extremely sharp gravers.

Yep, now I have to get one, accessories for my lathe are ultra expensive

thank you for posting this thread, jnash, I've been looking into buying a lathe but haven't jumped into it yet. Your experiences/insights on the matter are very valuable for me since it will help me decide ultimately what to get! 

In my humble opinion if funds allow I advise buying an Amercian style lathe that has a wide bed, such as  Boloey or IME. I did not and bought a Star lathe which is OK for general work. But when cutting thickish stock I think the bed flexes a fraction. The centre to centre (Tailstock too collet) is fractionally out on my lathe and this causes issues when using the tailstock for centre drilling or attacahing a jacot tool. Hind sight is a wonderful thing !!!!

I meant to add that the Clock & watch fairs are a good source for these and many other goodies.

The next one in the UK is at:

BRUNEL Clock and Watch Fair 

Sports Hall, Brunel University, Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PN. (Off A4020, M40 Exit 1, M25 Exit 16 East; 7 miles north of Heathrow)

December 14, 2014.

Good advise clockboy, thank you! I'll be checking for the brands suggested. Also I was told to get it with a complete complement of chucks(?). A substantial investment I'd say. As for the fair, I wish I could attend, but it is a bit out of my way... about 4,455 miles. :)

I meant to add that the Clock & watch fairs are a good source for these and many other goodies.

The next one in the UK is at:

BRUNEL Clock and Watch Fair

Sports Hall, Brunel University, Kingston Lane, Uxbridge, Middlesex, UB8 3PN. (Off A4020, M40 Exit 1, M25 Exit 16 East; 7 miles north of Heathrow)

December 14, 2014.

Not so good anymore , I hear the Birmingham one is much better

The collets (sometimes called split chucks) are available normally to be found on ebay or at watch & clock fairs.However be warned they are not the same threads. The collets come in either 8mm or 6mm. When I visit a fair I take my draw bar to test the threads of any collets i might purchase.

The collets (sometimes called split chucks) are available normally to be found on ebay or at watch & clock fairs.However be warned they are not the same threads. The collets come in either 8mm or 6mm. When I visit a fair I take my draw bar to test the threads of any collets i might purchase.

great advice, i actually bought the whole headstock once to make sure, there are some good deals on ebay at the moment. however don't go mad when buying stuff.

you need to also make sure that the headstock is spinning freely.

My advice would be a 8mm as accessories are readily available. the 6mm arent so easy to find.