How to set the minute wheel on a ETA 940.111

Clive

I have been given a watch in pieces  (movement is an ETA 940 111). I have replaced the minute wheel as it had teeth missing and now I am ready to put the dial and hands on. One problem I have is that its a 2 stage stem i.e you pull out a little to get the date to move and then pull out further to get the time adjusted. My challenge is that when the stem is pulled out to adjust the time, at no point does the date move on and so I am at a loss how I determine the tipping point for the date. Is there a known /recommended way of doing this or do I put the hands on and then wait for the date to change and then adjust the hands accordingly?

I wonder if you have everything back as it should? You pull the stem out to set time. Then wind it until it shift date. Put the hour hand  at 12 a clock . Wind it one more time 24 hours and see that it shift  right. With the hour hand at 12 set the minute hand over the hour  hand. Then it should work. If not there is something wrong. 

Edited by rogart63

Thanks for the  replies. It is as per Mr Roundel's explanation, I just can't figure out how to set the hour wheel up correctly. I think my only option is to run the movement and then hope I can trim the time down to when it changes date. Any advice greatly appreciated.