Where to get parts

Lc130

Hi All

I'm a beginner. Suspect this question has been asked but is not showing up in a search.  I'm learning on an AS1700 and now find that I've lost the crown wheel ring.  Is a donor movement the best option?  I've never searched for a part before.

Thanks

Charlie

You might be best off finding a parts donor. Otherwise, you can try Cousins in the UK to see if they list that part. The Bestfit number appears to be a #422 for the crown-wheel ring. So it might be that number,  example: AS 1700 Bestfit 422.

In the US, you can try Jules Borel or Esslinger. So you know, it's never easy.

I think I lost one of those rings the first time I worked on a particular type of automatic movement. They look as if they are part of the plate, rather than separate, so they'll surprise you. I take it that you've already checked the cleaner, and are sure that it's not hiding in place? As I said, they do look like they're incorporated into the plate. Good luck.

15 minutes ago, noirrac1j said:

Hello and welcome to the forum. You can get he crown wheel ring from J Borel, but you have to create an account. The price is reasonable:

1766373388_ScreenShot2019-01-16at7_40_42PM.thumb.png.d020880f764df02cac22c9dc61da3518.png

J

Good gosh;  that's it! Same part numbers as on the old service sheet a forum member directed me to at Cousins.  I wasn't aware of Borel.

Follow up question:  are parts numbers standardized?  Took a while to learn how to use the site and found several pages of "422's".  Are they all crown wheel centers for different manufacturers?

Many thanks.  I owe you a beer next time I'm in NYC.

Charlie

49 minutes ago, MrRoundel said:

They look as if they are part of the plate, rather than separate, so they'll surprise you. I take it that you've already checked the cleaner, and are sure that it's not hiding in place?

Looked everywhere.  So far, I find that not losing parts is the hardest part of this hobby.  

This is the second time I've been surprised by this part.  First time it fell out in the wash and took me I while to find where it came from.  Are these only in automatics?

Thank you

Charlie

36 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

Good gosh;  that's it! Same part numbers as on the old service sheet a forum member directed me to at Cousins.  I wasn't aware of Borel.

Follow up question:  are parts numbers standardized?  Took a while to learn how to use the site and found several pages of "422's".  Are they all crown wheel centers for different manufacturers?

Many thanks.  I owe you a beer next time I'm in NYC.

Charlie

Hello,

Glad to help out. Part number aren't standardized across manufacturers, but they are standardized within specific makes depending on caliber. A part numbered  422 for Omega may be a completely different part for AS or Bulova with the same part number. J. Borel is one of several material houses in the U.S. Cousins is OK, but the shipping is expensive to the U.S.

J

• 1 year later...
On 1/17/2019 at 3:13 AM, noirrac1j said:

Part number aren't standardized across manufacturers, but they are standardized within specific makes depending on caliber. A part numbered  422 for Omega may be a completely different part for AS or Bulova with the same part number.

That is incorrect. The Swiss have standardized part number across makers many decades ago, for example 422 is always the crown wheel core (or ring). Seiko also has its own standard numbering. Then of course the part can be significantly different across calibers.

9 hours ago, jdm said:

That is incorrect. The Swiss have standardized part number across makers many decades ago, for example 422 is always the crown wheel core (or ring). Seiko also has its own standard numbering. Then of course the part can be significantly different across calibers.

Yup you're correct @jdm. Here I show an example of the escape wheel part number for an Omega 751 and ETA 2800 through 2828R:

1057461922_ScreenShot2020-11-20at4_56_55PM.png.2448cd679fb3b49eaedf4da9fd95c751.png

1262318786_ScreenShot2020-11-20at5_04_23PM.png.3b5aded8924f0ba21285639970737f16.png

On 1/16/2019 at 5:58 PM, Lc130 said:

Hi All

I'm a beginner. Suspect this question has been asked but is not showing up in a search.  I'm learning on an AS1700 and now find that I've lost the crown wheel ring.  Is a donor movement the best option?  I've never searched for a part before.

Thanks

Charlie

Cousins UK is showing this item as Obsolete: Crown Wheel Ring ( 422 ), AS 1580

There is no such thing as "i lost it" if you "lost" it in your room. Keep searching. You will have to develop such skill every time some spring flies across the room ? . Just put the "crime scene tape" several meters around your workbench and keep searching. Good luck!

• Haha 1

Always check your cleaning solutions before pouring them away.

Keep young children and pets out of your work area.

Keep your bench top clean. (Yeah, right.)

Keep your missus from cleaning your work area. (Yeah, right.)

A long bar magnet and small flashlight helps.

And while you are on your hands and knees ... Pray.

• Like 1

I would also suggest to use the room with hardwood floor not carpet ?

Rodico is your friend to pick up and transfer tiny parts, but get comfortable with your tweezers also. I've got several sets with various tips (curved, straight, narrow, wide, etc) for different tasks.