Intro and questions

SybrenAmne

Hello fellow WIS-persons.

I like to introduce myself on this forum. My name is Sybren, living in the Netherlands,  Europe.

Just purchased an Elgin 761, in very nice condition, with a very nice history, being the first US-made perpetual automatic.

I also have a Bulova 23 b, 1956, also the first US-made perpetual automatic, little bit younger than the 761, but, question 1, according to some, designed in Switzerland, and 'only' US manufactered and assembled. Is this correct. I cannot find info about this.

And than, I really like to date the 761. On the case are stamped 6852 and T886877. Question 2, Is there a way to date this watch? Should be manufactured between 1958 and 1961, but I like to narrow this down.

Btw, I also have a 607 bumper incoming, to complete this mini-collection...

My first watch is an new bought 1984 Scubapro quartz diver, similair to some Heuer, Sinn, Bell&Ross and Dugena models from that periode. Unknown is where this Scubapro is manufactered....

I also have some, vintage, Seiko's, a 1968 Skyliner and a Tanaka-case King Quartz, both real beauties...

so, slowly transformating from single watch guy, quartz minded, to vintage mechanical watch collector...

I hope some one has info about the Elgin, for me this is a really interesting part in horological history. I want to learn.

As for repairs, I don't have the tools ore the skills... but maybe one day, who knows...

Sybren

20190115_233951.jpg

Screenshot_20190115-173944_Gallery (1).jpg

welcome Sybren,

for your Elgin Thin-Thin, you can refer to this presentation we put together to attempt to identify them

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1d15PHf44V9OaRG_TabSqscd8G3QA7AvQ6sITeQdEm_I/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=9000

Elgin had ceased tracking movement production with serial numbers, so the best you can do would be from November 1959 as the earliest date when the Thin-Thin's were first launched as the Thinline and they were renamed Thin-Thin shortly after that.

Thank you, friendly forum WIS !

From the presentation I've learned my 27 must be a 1961 model P.

This is really nice, and what vintage watch-collecting is all about. First you have a question, you research, you Google, like walking in the dark, and suddenly , Beng! A dive in a pool of wishdom. Really nice.

This brought me to a small conclusion about horology in general and especially vintage: 'The cookie-jar is never empty!' ....there is always another, nicer model, waiting for you.. for example the 27-b in the presentation. Wauw!

Thanks again, Sybren

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.