Intro and questions

SybrenAmne

Hello fellow WIS-persons.

I like to introduce myself on this forum. My name is Sybren, living in the Netherlands,  Europe.

Just purchased an Elgin 761, in very nice condition, with a very nice history, being the first US-made perpetual automatic.

I also have a Bulova 23 b, 1956, also the first US-made perpetual automatic, little bit younger than the 761, but, question 1, according to some, designed in Switzerland, and 'only' US manufactered and assembled. Is this correct. I cannot find info about this.

And than, I really like to date the 761. On the case are stamped 6852 and T886877. Question 2, Is there a way to date this watch? Should be manufactured between 1958 and 1961, but I like to narrow this down.

Btw, I also have a 607 bumper incoming, to complete this mini-collection...

My first watch is an new bought 1984 Scubapro quartz diver, similair to some Heuer, Sinn, Bell&Ross and Dugena models from that periode. Unknown is where this Scubapro is manufactered....

I also have some, vintage, Seiko's, a 1968 Skyliner and a Tanaka-case King Quartz, both real beauties...

so, slowly transformating from single watch guy, quartz minded, to vintage mechanical watch collector...

I hope some one has info about the Elgin, for me this is a really interesting part in horological history. I want to learn.

As for repairs, I don't have the tools ore the skills... but maybe one day, who knows...

Sybren

20190115_233951.jpg

Screenshot_20190115-173944_Gallery (1).jpg

welcome Sybren,

for your Elgin Thin-Thin, you can refer to this presentation we put together to attempt to identify them

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1d15PHf44V9OaRG_TabSqscd8G3QA7AvQ6sITeQdEm_I/pub?start=true&loop=false&delayms=9000

Elgin had ceased tracking movement production with serial numbers, so the best you can do would be from November 1959 as the earliest date when the Thin-Thin's were first launched as the Thinline and they were renamed Thin-Thin shortly after that.

Thank you, friendly forum WIS !

From the presentation I've learned my 27 must be a 1961 model P.

This is really nice, and what vintage watch-collecting is all about. First you have a question, you research, you Google, like walking in the dark, and suddenly , Beng! A dive in a pool of wishdom. Really nice.

This brought me to a small conclusion about horology in general and especially vintage: 'The cookie-jar is never empty!' ....there is always another, nicer model, waiting for you.. for example the 27-b in the presentation. Wauw!

Thanks again, Sybren

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.