Hi everybody, My name is Douglas. I'm a Luthier based in UK. I'm new to watch repairing so please be gentle with me. :-)

Thanks to Mark and his youtube videos I have been able to i've been able to regulate my own mechanical watch ( Seiko 6r15 in the SARB017 Alpinist ). When i received the watch it was losing about 3 minutes per week, approximately 30 seconds per day. So after about 5 attempts of moving the regulating arm, I've now managed to bring to watch where it is losing/gaining 2 seconds per day. I'm so pleased with the result. I don't have a timegrapher at the moment so i'm doing it old school. 

I currently have several watch projects on the go; 

A nice Rotary with the ETA 955.412 which needs a new glass and a new dial foot,

A nice old pocket watch made by 'Russels Ltd Liverpool', I know little about it as information is scarce on this company.

Another one is a Gerard Perragoux i think the movement is 482 or 55BE, both are stamped on the movement, a tiny old piece which needs a new mainspring. This is where i need help! I can't find the correct GR code. The dimensions are 1.5 .8 260 7.5 The nearest I can find is GR4077 but the one I need is the TR with the hole in it. Any help or advice would be most welcome!

Kindest regards

Douglas

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing

No registered users viewing this page.

• Topics

• Currently waiting on the postal service to deliver a Benrus CE13 (ETA930) movement. The cost for the complete movement was much less than international dial can refurb one. I bought it for a watch on which the dial has yellowed over time. .   https://www.ebay.com/itm/BENRUS-MODEL-CE13-CE-13-POINTER-17J-MOVEMENT-FOR-PARTS-OR-REPAIRS-RUNNING/324231185754?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649
    • It made a mark on me too.  It's why, if I stumble upon a particularly well-crafted movement in a really nice watch that is advertised as "non-running" or "for parts", I try to procure it and restore it. Before scrappers come to get it, if I can.  They'll just melt the case and sell the movement for jewelry parts. So many were beautiful works of art, as well as marvelous mechanisms for their time.  And the craftsmanship that went into them!  It so very different from the computer-designed components we see today.  Computers do not have an eye for aesthetics.  But long ago, humans were combining aesthetics and accuracy in lovely ways.  And some of those artisans struggled to keep bread and cheese on their table.
    • Yes. This is the video that prompted me to look into getting an automatic oiler again. Several years ago I asked my mentor about automatic oilers. His opinion was that it was an unnecessary luxury. He tends to be old school and even makes his own precision oilers from sewing needles. But recently I've been restoring pre 60's watches and they don't have shock springs. It's a real pain to lubricate such jewels. I don't know if any of you have this problem with steel oilers, but here in Singapore, it's so humid that if I leave my oilers uncapped on my bench for a couple of days, it'll start rusting. I might get one of these Chinese oilers as with the discounts and coupons, it comes to 1/3 the price of a Bergeon.
    • https://www.esslinger.com/genuine-seiko-replacement-watch-stems/#&gid=1&pid=image-4
    • https://www.esslinger.com/genuine-seiko-replacement-watch-stems/#&gid=1&pid=image-1