ETA 2824-2 Practice round

HSL

Since I have a restless brain I today decided it was time to practice on an ETA2824-2 Movement. 
I pulled the practice 2824-2 movements box out and blindly  picked a specimen. 

But soon I realized the pictures probably are so many it would be hard to upload.  So I made it to  a two part PDF series instead.

IMG_20190115_234250.jpg

Part 1 2824-2 Disassemble.pdf

Part 2 2824-2 Assemble.pdf

• Like 6

Excellent pdf’s and good timing, thank you as I’m currently working on one of these exact movements, and so far the amplitude is awful! Bit more work to do.

By the way - you have eight 2824-2 practice movements? How on earth did you manage to get eight?!!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, Pip said:

By the way - you have eight 2824-2 practice movements? How on earth did you manage to get eight?!!

Only eight! Then I must have misplaced a bunch of movements somewhere.

Like all scientists I suffer from a restless brain, this is nowadays confirmed by genetics. One of

the manifestations or symptoms is the urge to quite the voices in the head by manically investigate

a claim someone maid (ETA). In this case I probably had to see what really differs between the different ETA 2824-2 movement variants.
The conclusion was .. after some tweaking with the simpler model the biggest difference was mostly cosmetic.

It’s one of my absolute favourite movements. Simple, robust and with good enough precision.

• Like 1

Fascinating HSL!  That is a heck of a movement collection.  Have you looked at a Sellita SW200 and compared it to the ETA?

Isn't the 2824-2 basically an auto winding version of the 2801-2?  I believe all 2824-2's also have the stop lever for hacking, where it was optional on most variants of 2801-2?

Great pictures on your PDF's.  I have an infinite amount of respect for those of you with the talent to do such a great job of sharing such excellent how to's.  

6 hours ago, drysideshooter said:

Have you looked at a Sellita SW200 and compared it to the ETA?

No I haven't any of the clones, just work with what I usually find in my watches. And investigate what the variations are within it's family.

6 hours ago, drysideshooter said:

Isn't the 2824-2 basically an auto winding version of the 2801-2? 

If you take of the auto winding you would it should be a familiar sight except the train bridge looks som different, not sure if the 2801 has the stop lever. There will be some differences in the keyless too since this movement has a quick date setting. And if I don't remember wrong 2801-2 haven't got date  function.
If my distorted brain isn't to hazy I think the 2804-2 is the manual winding version of this one. But their all in the same family.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

HSL i just want to thank you for this guide, being new to watch repair/service its become a very interesting and fun hobby. I bought a cheap clone 2824 movement and then found that a cheap watch i got off ebay also has an eta 2824-2 movement in it. This guide has been invaluable to me, again thank you for the time it took to post this.

• 4 months later...