date ring change on a 2824-2 eta movement

Question

Ok.  So here goes.  After watching Mark's videos and specifically the two where he makes a watch from sourced parts, I decided to make a watch for myself that would not only be a great conversation piece and look good but be made EXACTLY as I like and want and keep good time as well.  So I have the parts all ordered up and some are already in.  One thing I want to do is to change the date ring from white to black.  I ordered one on ebay.  However I am not too sure if it will work on the ETA movement as it is aftermarket.  So there is question number one.  Will that one work or am I going to have to rummage around looking for an ETA made date ring in black?  My second question is, how hard is it to change that in the first place?  I haven't seen a video showing that specifically on that movement.  I am by no means afraid of doing it.  I take safe dials apart for my job as a locksmith and safe technician all the time so mechanical things scare me not.    But I would like some pointers and things to look out for while doing it so I don't screw up the movement.  Obviously when I am done with this project I will post all my pics.  I know you guys like stuff like this.  Its why we are here.  Thank you .

2 answers to this question

The aftermarket one should be fine. They pop right in and out. There is a little plate with notches that allow the disk to come out and go back in. Just set it in those notches, press the spring in, and it’ll drop in place:

This is a Rolex datewheel (upside down) so it’s not the correct fit but you get the idea:

bc1156cd9c9683822dc7bccbb6f8678f.jpg&key=3a0e2512b4679bc43172190469720dd7f4d787fb732970b1b412e864c8aae976