ETA2824 setting issue

Pip

Hi all. I’ve stripped and cleaned a 2824 for the first time, all seems simple enough. Except! On reassembly of the movement including calendar side I found it really hard to turn the crown in P3 for setting the time. I’ve had it up and down several times today and can’t quite nail it. However, a likely symptom of this is that the wheel (minute wheel) circled in red below turns with difficulty one way, when turning the other though the central portion of it turns but not the main wheel.

Any ideas gang as I’m scratching my head here.

Thanks in advance ;o)

688c01fec6a802f0029247da2fd0c39e.jpg

And here’s a closer pic of that wheel.

964f090d77c3d23b8d915e810a621f9a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Did you put the little lever on the setting lever spring behind the setting lever. That is easy to forget the first time. The one that is shaped like a U . If that isn't on the setting lever it wont push on the clutch wheel. 

I think I did but I no doubt didn’t. Thanks Roger, I will check this out.

26 minutes ago, rogart63 said:

My bad . See now that it is a 2824. Not 2824-2. They don't look the same in the keyless work. So can't be that then. 

Maybe just a typo the movement in the picture looks more like an 2824-2...

One direction turns, the other dosn,t.

The date is suppose to jump in one direction and not the other.

Check the date jumper at 9 hr (  a culprit, that is where I think the problem is) , the jumper is suppose to sit in between two teeth of date ring. Loosen the screw on date jump maintaining cover, that is the stuff at 9hr, a U spring pushes on the jumper.get the jumper in beteewn two teeth.

My bad . See now that it is a 2824. Not 2824-2. They don't look the same in the keyless work. So can't be that then. 

No, my bad as I didn’t realise they were different things. Apologies, I’m usually working on Seiko’s.
Here’s the movement ID at the start of the tear down and a pic of the keyless after rebuild...
39f26ef08b7b92576cf8e39c85e20c64.jpg

c94457fa0868dc3a21effaaf5a19f3ab.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

As I understand it you had problems in the third position which sets the time. 
The tension to get a correct action is set by the spring rogart63 told you about earlier. If you haven't put the spring on the lever it will akt strange.

Quick date adjust should be in the middle position.
I attach a photo so you can check.

P3.jpg

• Like 1

Thank you. I get the feeling from the suggestions that I have set the spring incorrectly. I’ll check this tomorrow and report back. Hope it’s this as it’s an easy fix!

4 hours ago, Pip said:

Hi all. I’ve stripped and cleaned a 2824 for the first time, all seems simple enough. Except! On reassembly of the movement including calendar side I found it really hard to turn the crown in P3 for setting the time. I’ve had it up and down several times today and can’t quite nail it. However, a likely symptom of this is that the wheel (minute wheel) circled in red below turns with difficulty one way, when turning the other though the central portion of it turns but not the main wheel.

Any ideas gang as I’m scratching my head here.

Thanks in advance ;o)

688c01fec6a802f0029247da2fd0c39e.jpg

And here’s a closer pic of that wheel.

964f090d77c3d23b8d915e810a621f9a.jpg

The central portion is what should turn, if the whole wheel is turning then you have an issue. There should be a heavy oil at the intersection of the two parts.

All rebuilt and no better. This is with the keyless in P3 for setting. I turn the crown away from me then toward me and repeat this process. The video shows what is happening in the movement. Apologies for the shaky video, it was a bit awkward without an assistant!

You have the balance out yes? When you are turning backwards it's causing the escape wheel to run backwards, this is what's letting the large wheel move. It should remain stationary while the pinion slips.

Of course! Feels like that should have been obvious now you say it. Thanks you.

Did you lubricate the junction between the pinion and the wheel?

No... should it be just a touch of D5? Or HP1300? And I’m guessing that one should put a hint of oil in the friction point between the two elements?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk