Hour Wheel AS 1687

DocJo

Good news: There are many choices for that hour wheel height, but remember "bestfit" doesn't always mean a direct swap.

I would start with the AS movements as they are plentiful, then try the Benrus, Cupillard, and Elgin hour wheels.

J

Screen Shot 2019-01-13 at 12.55.47 PM.png

• Like 1

I have found quite a bit of cross pollination in AS movements.There are for example many parts that interchange between the 1187 and the 1686.check to see what the hole sizes are on the hands..if they are the same there is a more than fair chance that the hour wheels are the same.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

Just for grins I checked.negative luck.hour hand hole diameter 1686 1.5 mm....1687 ? 1.3 mm...you are S.O.L.

This is actually helpful as I will eventually look for hands for these movements.  I have 2 sets of orginals and I hope to restore them a bit, but I’d i fail to get an acceptable result, I will be looking for some. 

I also happened to source some additional working AS 1686 movements from a very generous eBay seller.  It looks like i will have some nice projects to keep me busy for a while.  I’m researching some cases, dials and hands and would love to put something together with the additional movements. 

The data is on the ranfft website.All kinds of neat info there. 1686's are perfectly good movements, they aren't very pretty but they work well. They are also later production than most mechanical movements and all things being equal they are generally less worn out. BTW  I got those dimensions reversed, my bad. As for your case search look for older non working watches with 1187/94 movements, the dials  stems and hands are a direct swap with the 1686.All stainless steel cases screw down backs round crystals. Have fun.

• Like 1

On 1/17/2019 at 7:23 PM, yankeedog said:

The data is on the ranfft website.All kinds of neat info there. 1686's are perfectly good movements, they aren't very pretty but they work well. They are also later production than most mechanical movements and all things being equal they are generally less worn out. BTW  I got those dimensions reversed, my bad. As for your case search look for older non working watches with 1187/94 movements, the dials  stems and hands are a direct swap with the 1686.All stainless steel cases screw down backs round crystals. Have fun.

Thanks. I’ll look up the resources you mentioned.  I appreciate the info on the 1187/94 movement interchangeability.