A couple older ASs' <==(not intentional)

I got these two in an auction. I did pretty well cleaning them up and getting them back running but they're running really fast. Looks like the amplitude on them is way low but I don't have a timing machine so I cannot be sure. I know it's probably a hairspring issue but I cannot be too sure. Any ideas? I appreciate this forum more than anyone can know and want to personally thank everyone because this place is a true treasure trove!

There's a 7 jewel AS 1187/94 and an AS 1361N that was automatic but it was a pain in the AS, haha watch humor, plus I prefer hand winding anyway ( though now the morning starts with about 15 mins of winding all my watches.82a1bc616c4581a602777fc1caed8a8c.jpg3c2e8d42b1c5a90aa46ebe1be5071c16.jpgd35cecd526e6e736271fd38f58a9c0ab.jpg30010e14224cd2b6528d013fe6b5531a.jpg54facf0c6cc9dc06c875a5bd5a4b797d.jpg0b84db2da96541c146a0016716a8d656.jpgd73188dbe934b2ec407d54c2fd5d34d3.jpgc5b243c081c7cbadda4da6770c1d4c7b.jpg36a95e2a770b86aa5f9a6553d5587f39.jpg

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

Your very good close up photos indicate this is definitely a hairspring issue causing the running fast problem as @nickelsilver says.

A hairspring should form a nice concentric circle. If one of the 'circles' touches an adjacent one it has the equivalent effect of shortening the spring and thus make the balance swing faster. This equals your watch running fast. Whilst contamination (e.g. oil or dirt) can cause this, your close ups indicate your hairspring has been damaged in some way.

In this case you either have to replace or repair. It's worth attempting the latter but you'll need to be delicate and patient. Mark has done a good video at: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=idO5elKgFMA.

26 minutes ago, Pip said:

Just a straw poll on this subject; what does everyone use to clean their (watch) hairsprings? I’ve read I should be using one-dip but haven’t invested in any yet. 

One-dip is an excellent product for hairspring cleaning, the active ingredient is trichloroethylene which is a powerful industrial degreser.

I have though switched to pure 99.3% solvent from an bulk supplier instead of the Bergeon 2552, a quick analyzes in the lab says they are practically the same.

One-dip is an excellent product for hairspring cleaning, the active ingredient is trichloroethylene which is a powerful industrial degreser.
I have though switched to pure 99.3% solvent from an bulk supplier instead of the Bergeon 2552, a quick analyzes in the lab says they are practically the same.

Thanks. I think that trichloroethalyne is dry cleaning fluid, I’ll have to double check that but if it’s the same I would hazard a guess that dry cleaning fluid may be a touch cheaper than one-dip!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes, thanks to all. I was able to correctly shape the hairspring back in it's shape. Now though it won't run. I'm guessing I might have put the collet on wrong? Not sure but it doesn't seem to have any issue. End shake is fine, swings nicely when set. The only thing I can think of is I put the collet on wrong.

On a side note, what can I buy to make click springs for watches? I want to just make one but i don't know what I'm looking for. Any help there would be wonderful thanks.c3c1308f11cd1a460f3b5dd6a918dd46.jpg

It's my own homemade balance tack. Took a prescription pill bottle cap and some odds and ends lying around and voila. You can buy them too but there's something special when you make your own tools. You appreciate them more I find.

Yes, thanks to all. I was able to correctly shape the hairspring back in it's shape. Now though it won't run. I'm guessing I might have put the collet on wrong? Not sure but it doesn't seem to have any issue. End shake is fine, swings nicely when set. The only thing I can think of is I put the collet on wrong.

On a side note, what can I buy to make click springs for watches? I want to just make one but i don't know what I'm looking for. Any help there would be wonderful thanks.c3c1308f11cd1a460f3b5dd6a918dd46.jpg&key=703f0e54483f55b2c8cd8fab7cbf03069024d225722b43446ffb3093d587fd1a

Guitar string is good for making click springs. A 0.09" gauge string like an high E from an electric guitar should work well

Sent from my Redmi 4X using Tapatalk