Any idea how this case comes off? Chromatic 17 jewel diver

Hey need help with this ebay special. I tried putting the back off which got nowhere then tried a jaxa to see if it turns, which it doesn't. Though I had to try and grab it on the outside a that raised part in the middle of the back of the case with the unique design cannot be grabbed onto with a jaxa. Then I tried every so lightly to see if it was a 2 piece stem and pulled as much as I was comfortable with.

It looks to me like the back prys off. Though it's a waterproof case so I'm not too sure. I thought about it might be a two piece case but I didn't want to try and pry the glass off. Any help is most appreciated.350de4a9715ddece346bf3428144cbbc.jpgc9ab7d5f82776d7638b4b44d0801a7b2.jpgbea0661b5ca67eaf20871d2acfc5d2c5.jpg4267166d170641d749c6497b1de58a29.jpg

Sent from my Z956 using Tapatalk

It looks like a snap on back to me...the back doesn't look functional in terms of being a screw type. Try getting a single edge razor or something suitably thin between the caseback and case and run it along the circumference gently prying the two apart if possible... then try the case knife again.

J

Edited by noirrac1j
typo!

Yes many thanks! It was a pain but finally got er off. Now the interesting thing, I wish I took pictures, was there movement. It was a 17 jewel pin pallet movement. Ever seen one? I've never seen a jewelled pin pallet like that. It doesn't have a quick set date, the cannon pinion was tighter than me at Christmas.

Just needed a little tlc. Runs beautifully now, but I thought that was interesting. Also to access the ratchet wheel and mainspring to unwind it it's not on the back of the movement as normal it is on the frontier if the movement under the calendar works. It was an interesting piece to say the least... Especially for $15! Thanks eBay, it's the gift that keeps on giving

Just wanted to show pictures. So when I received this watch there was no seconds hand. Surprisingly and for some unknown reason someone taped it to the back of the inside of the case. So I'm awaiting something to clean it with. But I had a spare seconds hand that fits wonderfully. So here it is, with a lovely NATO strap. My first tritium piece too I might add. Love it! Keeps great time.4c02a56ab1cf3b2cd6269692f2b2e52c.jpg

On 1/11/2019 at 7:03 AM, Mattaphysics said:

Yes many thanks! It was a pain but finally got er off. Now the interesting thing, I wish I took pictures, was there movement. It was a 17 jewel pin pallet movement. 

You DIDN'T take pictures?!? Always have a camera ready....always!

I've worked on plenty of pin pallets with jewels--the most I've seen is the 25 jeweled day/date with auto winding Baumgartner 158. The fact that you mentioned putting down the power of the mainspring via the dial side is intriguing....did the movement look like this?

301794923_ScreenShot2019-01-12at2_49_34PM.thumb.png.4cb524ac9b108bbd287d8f1e847b2730.png

I know, I committed a mortal sin but it looked so easy I was confident in myself to take it apart and put it back together. Unfortunately I was overconfident. Now it did not look like that. I will take her apart and include a picture.53ba28a340bce9af0b3b69108d584682.jpg

3 hours ago, Mattaphysics said:

That looks exact! But the thing that's odd is it has a 2 then a small hole and 17 jewels as if it was a 23 jewel part they put on a 17 jewel movement and had to fix it or something.

The manufacturer (EB) machined out the plate to correct or erase info. I've seen that kind of thing before. They did it save money during the  emerging quartz crisis of that time.

J

Edited by noirrac1j