Custom chrono using a Valjoux 7733

Some days ago I've had the opportunity to buy a Valjoux 7733 movement.

I've never had a chrono watch because they are often much too large for my 16.5cm wrists ... and because the only I could easily wear are vintage pieces out of my range of price.

So when I saw that Valjoux, supposedly NOS (the seller said it's never been in a watch case) and fully working, at a fair price I decided to take my chance.

I paid 220€ shipped which seems not a steal but, as far as I know, still a fair price.

My project is to search and buy a cheap (but nice) panda dial, remove the brand (sorry) and put my own.

While searching/reprinting the dial I will gather informations about the 7733 and, when I'll feel ready (sort of) try to service it without doing anything stupid.

I also could get a Poljot 3133 to train, if I can get one for cheap which seems to be not that easy today.

Of course I will need a case ... maximum 39mm without crown

I'd really like to get something close to the "vintage Autavia" look but with a rotating bezel ... I've seen a Pierce chrono that was really close to what I want (1700$ ... only !!!).

If I can't find one I'll probably start from a standard case and mod it ... rework /drill /mod rehaut so that I could add pushers, plexi, retaining ring and custom rotating bezel (I'm lucky enough to have a friend who is fully equipped for that ... as long as I design it).

And the case, being modified or not, will be engraved with the same name as the panda dial and, probably, the chrono bridge of the movement (that unseen tiny part where they wrote "Heuer", Breitling ", etc).

I re-read my post and I'm afraid it could take me months or years to get that watch on my wrist ... no problem as I'm not in a hurry.

Of course if you have, opinions / good ideas / cheap 3133 movement to buy / etc ... please feel free to post here.

Cheers

Cool project.  This is the second custom chronograph project to pop up here in the past couple of weeks.  I hope you post pictures during the build because these are always interesting and fun to follow.

You might want to try looking at some of the parts available for the Seagull ST1901 movement.  I've been looking cases, hands, etc. online as I'm considering a build project using this movement.  Both the Valjoux 7733 and Seagull ST1901 are derivatives of Venus chronograph movements- the 7733 traces it's lineage back to the Venus 188 and the ST1901 goes back to the Venus 175; both these Venus movements had much in common.  You might find the cases available for the ST1901 will work with a 7733.

4 hours ago, RyMoeller said:

Cool project.  This is the second custom chronograph project to pop up here in the past couple of weeks.  I hope you post pictures during the build because these are always interesting and fun to follow.

You might want to try looking at some of the parts available for the Seagull ST1901 movement.  I've been looking cases, hands, etc. online as I'm considering a build project using this movement.  Both the Valjoux 7733 and Seagull ST1901 are derivatives of Venus chronograph movements- the 7733 traces it's lineage back to the Venus 188 and the ST1901 goes back to the Venus 175; both these Venus movements had much in common.  You might find the cases available for the ST1901 will work with a 7733.

Thanks !!! I will check all the specs I can't find on ranftt (position/angle for the pushers) then I'll check some ST19 cases.

But I'm afraid I'll have to go the custom way, as I have discovered my grail case today ... Aquastar Airstar  ... and it's far too much expensive.

Even the Jean Richard Airstar is about 8 to 10K$ so not an option.

I'll try to design a case with Solidworks, have it 3D printed to tests and checks, then try to find a workshop that could produce it in CNC.

There's a guy in Belgium that ask about 500€ for a custom case so I'll contact him when my 3D plastic model is perfect.

Nevertheless I'm am not in a hurry ... I first have to receive the 7733 and service it.

Sunday evening, just coming back home after a long WE, I have found that nice movement in my letter box

Valjoux 773 ...

j0S0e.jpg

j0Y5T.jpg

Almost the same movement than the one in vintage Autavia 73363 .. so designing an hommage based on "Siffert style" dials could be an idea ... good or bad I still don't know

jMsvg.jpg

One crazy thing I want to do is to design a custom case for that Valjoux.

So if anybody here can post a blueprint of a 7733 please feel free to do as I will need to know the exact angles for the pushers.

Every other dimensions I can measure and check with ranfft but for the angles of the pushers ... I have nothing at all

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/15/2019 at 5:10 PM, manodeoro said:

One crazy thing I want to do is to design a custom case for that Valjoux.

So if anybody here can post a blueprint of a 7733 please feel free to do as I will need to know the exact angles for the pushers.

Every other dimensions I can measure and check with ranfft but for the angles of the pushers ... I have nothing at all

From looking at your picture and pictures of cases using the 7733 - they have the pushers at "10 and 20 - past" => +/- 30deg from the stem.

A quick measurement from your picture gives 28deg but it is taken  with a slight angle so 30deg should be abt. right!

From looking at your picture and pictures of cases using the 7733 - they have the pushers at "10 and 20 - past" => +/- 30deg from the stem.
A quick measurement from your picture gives 28deg but it is taken  with a slight angle so 30deg should be abt. right!
Seems you're 100% right. .. thanks
My son has a chronograph with a 13 lignes Miyota quartz movement inside ... I think I'll borrow it, remove the movement and see if I can put the 7733 in.
If it works I'll order a cheap quartz chronograph, rework the case to the specs I want, rework the rehaut so that I can put a Plexi and a rotating bezel and start from there ... for the moment.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk