Jump to content
  • 0
Sign in to follow this  
MilTimeCan

How do you reset a bezel and crystal on a watch which the movement comes out from the front?

Question

Ladies and gents,

This is the challenge watch ...a Skagen SKW6247 Men's Ancher Stainless Steel

 s-l640.jpg.e0acf87573b521b530645c6be6e1ac09.jpg

I proceeded to do a very simple task, some of you would consider extremely easy, changing a watch battery.... read on it gets more interesting...

Well the back was extremely tight so it took quite a bit of leverage with the pry tool but it did come off and from my novice experience what is difficult to take off is usually difficult to pop back in.

So I took out my handy dandy back case press and proceeded to pop the back in when the front came out....as did the movement and the minute hand was loose (so I will have to address that later) 

The crystal is part of the bezel and it all came out when I attempted to press the back in , makes sense since that's the only way that you can change the movement which is 42 mm and the back entry is 36 mm.

The bezel seems to have a small lip and I am absolutely mystified on where to line this up in order to press it back in.

My current experience is when you don't know what to do, you stop, put the watch away until you find a solution.  

Is there a technique that is used to pop the crystal/bezel combo back in for these scenarios ???

Signed

Truly perplexed novice..     :geek:

 

 

 

Edited by MilTimeCan
typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

7 answers to this question

Recommended Posts

  • 0
11 hours ago, MilTimeCan said:

Ladies and gents,

This is the challenge watch ...a Skagen SKW6247 Men's Ancher Stainless Steel

 s-l640.jpg.e0acf87573b521b530645c6be6e1ac09.jpg

I proceeded to do a very simple task, some of you would consider extremely easy, changing a watch battery.... read on it gets more interesting...

Well the back was extremely tight so it took quite a bit of leverage with the pry tool but it did come off and from my novice experience what is difficult to take off is usually difficult to pop back in.

So I took out my handy dandy back case press and proceeded to pop the back in when the front came out....as did the movement and the minute hand was loose (so I will have to address that later) 

The crystal is part of the bezel and it all came out when I attempted to press the back in , makes sense since that's the only way that you can change the movement which is 42 mm and the back entry is 36 mm.

The bezel seems to have a small lip and I am absolutely mystified on where to line this up in order to press it back in.

My current experience is when you don't know what to do, you stop, put the watch away until you find a solution.  

Is there a technique that is used to pop the crystal/bezel combo back in for these scenarios ???

Signed

Truly perplexed novice..     :geek:

 

 

 

   Rumpole had  had a solution for similar problems,  Chatto fleet street I think?   all kidding aside,  it may be a new import watch that is not  repairable .  vin

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0

Hello,

I just did the same work to my skagen chronograph quartz and the crystal had a thin gasket around it that was set with mastic / UV glue.

The gasket was not salvageable but the crystal went back into the bezel just fine with UV glue.  Hope this helps.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
8 hours ago, cduke said:

Hello,

I just did the same work to my skagen chronograph quartz and the crystal had a thin gasket around it that was set with mastic / UV glue.

The gasket was not salvageable but the crystal went back into the bezel just fine with UV glue.  Hope this helps.

makes sense, there's nothing I can see that will connect the bezel to the case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 0
On 1/10/2019 at 9:40 AM, vinn3 said:

   Rumpole had  had a solution for similar problems,  Chatto fleet street I think?   all kidding aside,  it may be a new import watch that is not  repairable .  vin

could be it was a real challenge to pry off the back and it seems almost impossible to press it back in ...Hope u are well Vinn !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • Hi All I'm a beginner.  I've finally competed my Seiko 6119A in a Seiko 5.  I now notice that the second hand tube is quite long.  It's not sliding down the shaft with moderate pressure.  How had should I push?  Is there a trick to this? Thank you    
    • Hello guys, I have some problem with my seiko 7015 speedtimer that i bought 2 days ago.. This seiko runs smoothly when chronograph off And when the chronograph is active,the watch runs for awhile and then stop.. Whats wrong with it and maybe you guys can help me with some solution please!! thanks
    • Hi Len thank you for the detailed reply. I tried a 329 today and unfortunately did not work. As you explained before it looks like the rotor is ocillating back and forth (the second hand moves forward and backwards).  Its heartbreaking to see as i was hoping to fix it and give back to my grandfather. is there anyway i can source the part or an alternative movement (does not have to be Omega) that will fit the dial and casing?Although not ideal as takes away from the integrity and beauty of the watch but would love to able to get it working one way or the other so my grandfather can wear it on the wrist again. any help would be much appreciated  regards   57253616986__A7C2CEC7-1ACC-483F-933C-D73C742B77C7.MOV
    • For what its worth, the watch would originally have looked more like this.
    • A little bit of a fun watch  for today's Watch of Today.

      Another Swatch rescued from the junk pile. This one had a couple of obvious issues.

      The leather band was filthy, heavily kinked, and stiff as a board. So much so that had to be scrubbed with detergent, dried, and some leather restoration work carried out. The watch itself however, as well as the usual heavily scratched crystal had an electro-machanical issue. When I popped in a brand new battery, the second hand would move for a bit, then falter. This turned out to be a combination of slight corrosion on the spring contact for the battery, and the fact that someone had previously run the watch with a tiny button cell, wedged in place with some scrunched up paper, which had bent the sprung battery contact.  A little very careful re-bending and off it went like a champ. This illustrates the point nicely, that even a little extra resistance in the battery contacts can be enough to stop a quartz movement, or make it behave erratically. The band took a little more effort. Once dried, following its bath, it became obvious that the original uniform kid leather look was long gone, so I went for a more vintage finish, with a little blending of the very worn patches using the leather dye in some dark tan shoe polish, combined with some lighter "Clarks Shoes" branded leather restoration cream. I only needed a hint of the dark tan, since I didn't want to end up with a brown shoes effect, simply to shine up the worn patches, and blend them with the existing colour.

      Several thin coats of leather cream mixed with a little dark tan, and much buffing later and the strap is back to its original soft calfskin feel, rather than dry as a stick. All of the holes are the same size again. The band forms a gentle curve, rather than being corrugated, and the stitching is clean.  The band looks ten times better than when it arrived. This is yet another member of the "404 Club", since it was effectively free with a bunch of other junk, I picked up which was purchased because it included a mechanical watch that I have yet to restore, all for under the magic £4.04
×