Where I hang out while playing with watches

TexasDon

I've been putting together a small work area that I can use when I'm in the mood to work on a watch. It's nothing fancy but I do find it both comfortable and useful. The table is a repurposed computer desk that I moved from the bedroom since I no longer keep my laptop there. The chair is an original 1930's oak swiveling office chair with arms. I rescued it from a print shop that was going to toss it out close to 15 years ago. It needs refinishing but as it's older than me and I'm not in line to be refinished, it'll have to do as is. The lamp is a Dazor 2324 articulating twin tube desk lamp that puts out quite a bit of light. I'm currently awaiting a response from the manufacturer about whether or not they offer a kit for converting this lamp to LED lighting. If not, then I'll collect up the pieces that I need and do the conversion on my own. The US is going to phase out all fluorescent tube production in the future as the bulbs contain Mercury and are an environmental hazard. I've already converted all of my other lamps in the house so this one will be the last.

Various watchmaking and repair tools are stored in the desk. I don't really have that many tools as this is a hobby enterprise for me, not a real vocation. I've learned so much since becoming aware of Mark's videos and joining this forum. The watch on the desk is a Seiko solar powered dress watch. I don't wear it all that often so I'm letting the lamp and the natural light from the windows charge it up.

WatchDesk.thumb.jpg.b0f33844b7d5c4f3e4f16f10a94fe712.jpg

Edited by TexasDon
spelling
  • Like 1

A really nice work area ... and it looks "Zen" or sort of.
Congrats !!!

I would like to share here some pics of my own work place but I won't do without your "go", as if one do some others will and your topic could be changed in a "show us your work area" thread.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

1 hour ago, TexasDon said:

Please, anyone, feel free to post photos of your own work space here. Perhaps I should have titled the topic "Show us your work space for watches".

I don't know if there is such a specific topic here but I've seen some on other forums and your title is definitely better, much more poetic.

Which is really nice as, in my opinion, watches tell Time, History AND Poetry.

So please do NOT change the title :)

I will post some pictures of my own work-bench ... a mahogany writing-desk from the 60ies that I have modded in a "neo-vintage" style.

I'll post before/after pics of course, even if I know that some traditionalists would devote me to the obloquy ... or drag my name through the mud (according to the country where they live).

On 1/10/2019 at 11:06 AM, TexasDon said:

Please, anyone, feel free to post photos of your own work space here. Perhaps I should have titled the topic "Show us your work space for watches".

Guess you got some sunshine were you live this is how it looks like on the dark side of the moon where I live...

DarkSide.jpg

• Like 1