Upper balance cap jewel removal- help please

Hello again. I would like to remove the upper balance (cock) cap jewel shown in the photo below, but it is neither the Incabloc type (with lyre spring) nor the type which is serviced by removing two very small screws on the underside of the cock. As can be seen it is rather crusty on top and I would like to thoroughly clean and lube’ correctly. Any help would be appreciated please. I have not tried, but wonder if the top unscrews with a special slotted (two leg) screwdriver?

Kind regards

IMG_3233.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would remove the balance complete, next stud support, more is then revealed, posting a photo of it at that point is likely to yield result.

Edited by Nucejoe
Also a pick of the other side of the cock can be taken and posted .

Will you also disclose the makes, caliber, brand .

Yes, sorry. It is a Ronda 1217. Nothing special but I would think the cap jewel should be removable for cleaning and relubricating. Regards

Yes, it should unscrew easily. Good luck !

Well I tried to unscrew it, carefully, but lost my nerve when torque was more than I could comfortably apply. I’ll take off the two mobiles tonight and send in photos. Feel reluctant to just ‘let it go unlubricated’

Hi @Deggsie - I realise that the link I provided was for a different type but I believed the same principal applied i.e. a screwdriver placed across the slots and turned would remove the cap for this 'Monobloc' shock protection type. You've done the right thing though by not forcing anything!

Your original picture is slightly perplexing in that there doesn't seem to be a jewel there at all but I guess that's just a white-out effect from the lighting! ^_^

I hope you manage to get this sorted.

Hi@Deggsie - I realise that the link I provided was for a different type but I believed the same principal applied i.e. a screwdriver placed across the slots and turned would remove the cap for this 'Monobloc' shock protection type. You've done the right thing though by not forcing anything!
Your original picture is slightly perplexing in that there doesn't seem to be a jewel there at all but I guess that's just a white-out effect from the lighting! [emoji5]
I hope you manage to get this sorted.

Thanks watchmaker. I just checked with 20x eye loop and a gentle prod with an oiler - it’s definitely there but a flakey grey deposition top. I’ll keep you all informed.

Thanks watchmaker. I just checked with 20x eye loop and a gentle prod with an oiler - it’s definitely there but a flakey grey deposition top. I’ll keep you all informed.

I have concluded jewel is smeared into the unit as spotted by old hippie. This unit is the interference pressed into the arm. Where do I go from here... reluctantly try to oil through the pivot hole. It’s not a satisfactory outcome but I don’t want to destroy it in trying too hard. Oh well!

Kind regards to all

If it were me I'd put the balance complete in a shallow dish of cleaning fluid (balance bridge down) and use a hand blower/puffer to agitate the fluid. This should dissolve and dislodge any muck that exists. [You have probably already done this of course but worth me mentioning]. Now with the balance complete removed from the fluid and dried, gently lift the balance/hairspring and use a fine oiler to put a drop of oil on the jewel. This way you have maximised your chances of a good and beneficial service whilst minimising the chances of damaging something.

What is still odd to me is the jewel-that-doesn't-seem-to-be-a-jewel and that is different in appearance to other examples of the Ronda 1217 with the usual nice bright jewel colour e.g. image.png.a7e0233210e4a4ed962c98605593c207.png

Unless of course this is a 'lesser' 1217 with only a single jewel and the jewel is somewhere else! ;):biggrin:

Edited by WatchMaker