Jump to content
Chadders

Raymond Weil 9514.5

Recommended Posts

My partner obtained  a quartz Raymond Weil 9514.50for me to  repair, granted its a quartz ugh!!! but it loses 20 mins  a night, but maintains time during the day when worn, have changed the battery but this has not changed the situation, any ideas? can you obtain a new movement reasonably cheaply?? Cousinsuk do not even list the manufacturer.

 

Comments welcome

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before replacing the movement, it might be worth checking if the hands are making contact with each other at some stage in their rotation.

Repaired a Tissot quartz a while back which was losing time as a result of a slight drag as the second hand passed over the minute hand. When worn it lost a little time but when left on the bedside table for a while it sometimes stopped.



Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If that line of fault finding leads nowhere, then it could be an electrical issue. I'm no expert on quartz movements specifically, but I do have a background in electronics, so I can offer a few suggestions.

I would check the battery contacts are clean, and that there is no obvious sign of corrosion anywhere, then inspect the module very carefully for hairline cracks and damaged solder joints.

It doesn't take much with the very low power levels involved for things to get out of whack. A loose connection on one end of the crystal, or moisture damage or a crack to one of the resistors or capacitors, and things get strange when they cool down or warm up. 

If you have access to an oscilloscope, things get a lot easier, but assuming you don't, then start with those suggestions first and we will see if we can get to the source of the issue.

If you post some closeup pictures, then I might be able to offer some other thoughts.

Edited by AndyHull

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I havn,t seen a pic of the movement.

If its got day or even date, the day jump works can very well be the fault, advance time by 12 hrs = swith day& night around, it then should loose 20 min day time and go accurate at nights.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Nucejoe said:

I havn,t seen a pic of the movement.

If its got day or even date, the day jump works can very well be the fault, advance time by 12 hrs = swith day& night around, it then should loose 20 min day time and go accurate at nights.

Good suggestion. I would try that first before messing about with my suggestions, also some good pictures would help

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, nad said:

Before replacing the movement, it might be worth checking if the hands are making contact with each other at some stage in their rotation.

Repaired a Tissot quartz a while back which was losing time as a result of a slight drag as the second hand passed over the minute hand. When worn it lost a little time but when left on the bedside table for a while it sometimes stopped.



Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
 

Thanks, it has no second hand and I followed your advice, sadly I CAN see daylight between the minute and hour hand when placed at 12 noon, so sadly this easy fix seems unlikely. The movement is an  556.031 im told ETA do an equivalent. 

 

2 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

If that line of fault finding leads nowhere, then it could be an electrical issue. I'm no expert on quartz movements specifically, but I do have a background in electronics, so I can offer a few suggestions.

I would check the battery contacts are clean, and that there is no obvious sign of corrosion anywhere, then inspect the module very carefully for hairline cracks and damaged solder joints.

It doesn't take much with the very low power levels involved for things to get out of whack. A loose connection on one end of the crystal, or moisture damage or a crack to one of the resistors or capacitors, and things get strange when they cool down or warm up. 

If you have access to an oscilloscope, things get a lot easier, but assuming you don't, then start with those suggestions first and we will see if we can get to the source of the issue.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Good suggestion. I would try that first before messing about with my suggestions, also some good pictures would help

The movement is 556.031 it has no date function or second hand. Will post pics later

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Good suggestion. I would try that first before messing about with my suggestions, also some good pictures would help

Hi andy I guess I get medals only if that fixes the movement.  Remember?  :geek: 

Regards joe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Nucejoe said:

Hi andy I guess I get medals only if that fixes the movement.  Remember?  :geek: 

Regards joe

 

No fix, no medal, thems the rules :D

I suspect the movement should look something like this.
Quartz.png.0529e58bf808746e316e3ab730ca2255.png

It seems it has been superseded by the ETA 956.031/2 Movement (double check that before you purchase though). 

My suggestions to check for poor solder, corrosion, cracked components etc. still stand. If you are feeling brave (or foolish) you could try cleaning the mechanicals too. Whats the worst that can happen, you have to replace the movement. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

No fix, no medal, thems the rules :D

I suspect the movement should look something like this.
Quartz.png.0529e58bf808746e316e3ab730ca2255.png

It seems it has been superseded by the ETA 956.031/2 Movement (double check that before you purchase though). 

My suggestions to check for poor solder, corrosion, cracked components etc. still stand. If you are feeling brave (or foolish) you could try cleaning the mechanicals too. Whats the worst that can happen, you have to replace the movement. 

Many thanks, now the fog is clearing, could not find the original movement ref on any site, may just replace the movement. 

 

David

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/7/2019 at 6:36 AM, AndyHull said:

It ain't the cheapest movement I've ever encountered, considering it is just a simple two hander :( 

http://www.ofrei.com/page548.html
http://www.watchpartssupply.com/eta-9560312-movement-p-297.html
 

It's Swiss. What else can you expect? I did fine an original 556.031, new,  listed on the US version of fleabay for $400. Ouch! The seller must be assuming that someone wishes to restore a valuable heirloom.

Edited by TexasDon
additional info

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Topics

  • Posts

    • "Philip head screws"   are very common and loads of timex dead watches out there for "a buck or two".  I did not know the screws came in metric and S.A.E..  vin
    • Unless you have another watch you can steal them from, it will be hard to say that they are "screw x". You should be able to get those from a normal fastener supplier though. You just need to know the thread pitch, diameter, and length of the screws. You can measure the thread pitch with one of these: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thread_pitch_gauge Note that metric and imperial systems measure screws differently of course, so if you're having trouble getting something that is exactly right, try using the other system. Googling around should get more details on getting the right measurements.
       
    • I have the above watch that has four small cross head screws holding the back of the case on. My question is that these look rather worn so where are places to get these screws and what measurements would be needed? The pic is not the actual watch but is the model. TIA Mike
    • .. on the other hand, there is the ETA 2893-2 automatic GMT for example... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Authentic-ETA-2893-2-automatic-GMT-watch-movement-Victorinox/132919302254?hash=item1ef29b986e:g:KOMAAOSwuJRcG5Kj:rk:55:pf:0
×