Raymond Weil 9514.5

My partner obtained  a quartz Raymond Weil 9514.50for me to  repair, granted its a quartz ugh!!! but it loses 20 mins  a night, but maintains time during the day when worn, have changed the battery but this has not changed the situation, any ideas? can you obtain a new movement reasonably cheaply?? Cousinsuk do not even list the manufacturer.

Comments welcome

Before replacing the movement, it might be worth checking if the hands are making contact with each other at some stage in their rotation.

Repaired a Tissot quartz a while back which was losing time as a result of a slight drag as the second hand passed over the minute hand. When worn it lost a little time but when left on the bedside table for a while it sometimes stopped.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

If that line of fault finding leads nowhere, then it could be an electrical issue. I'm no expert on quartz movements specifically, but I do have a background in electronics, so I can offer a few suggestions.

I would check the battery contacts are clean, and that there is no obvious sign of corrosion anywhere, then inspect the module very carefully for hairline cracks and damaged solder joints.

It doesn't take much with the very low power levels involved for things to get out of whack. A loose connection on one end of the crystal, or moisture damage or a crack to one of the resistors or capacitors, and things get strange when they cool down or warm up. 

If you have access to an oscilloscope, things get a lot easier, but assuming you don't, then start with those suggestions first and we will see if we can get to the source of the issue.

If you post some closeup pictures, then I might be able to offer some other thoughts.

Edited by AndyHull

I havn,t seen a pic of the movement.

If its got day or even date, the day jump works can very well be the fault, advance time by 12 hrs = swith day& night around, it then should loose 20 min day time and go accurate at nights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nucejoe said:

I havn,t seen a pic of the movement.

If its got day or even date, the day jump works can very well be the fault, advance time by 12 hrs = swith day& night around, it then should loose 20 min day time and go accurate at nights.

Good suggestion. I would try that first before messing about with my suggestions, also some good pictures would help

37 minutes ago, nad said:

Before replacing the movement, it might be worth checking if the hands are making contact with each other at some stage in their rotation.

Repaired a Tissot quartz a while back which was losing time as a result of a slight drag as the second hand passed over the minute hand. When worn it lost a little time but when left on the bedside table for a while it sometimes stopped.

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Thanks, it has no second hand and I followed your advice, sadly I CAN see daylight between the minute and hour hand when placed at 12 noon, so sadly this easy fix seems unlikely. The movement is an  556.031 im told ETA do an equivalent. 

2 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

If that line of fault finding leads nowhere, then it could be an electrical issue. I'm no expert on quartz movements specifically, but I do have a background in electronics, so I can offer a few suggestions.

I would check the battery contacts are clean, and that there is no obvious sign of corrosion anywhere, then inspect the module very carefully for hairline cracks and damaged solder joints.

It doesn't take much with the very low power levels involved for things to get out of whack. A loose connection on one end of the crystal, or moisture damage or a crack to one of the resistors or capacitors, and things get strange when they cool down or warm up. 

If you have access to an oscilloscope, things get a lot easier, but assuming you don't, then start with those suggestions first and we will see if we can get to the source of the issue.

2 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

Good suggestion. I would try that first before messing about with my suggestions, also some good pictures would help

Hi andy I guess I get medals only if that fixes the movement.  Remember?  :geek: 

Regards joe

Just now, Nucejoe said:

Hi andy I guess I get medals only if that fixes the movement.  Remember?  :geek: 

Regards joe

No fix, no medal, thems the rules :D

I suspect the movement should look something like this.
Quartz.png.0529e58bf808746e316e3ab730ca2255.png

It seems it has been superseded by the ETA 956.031/2 Movement (double check that before you purchase though). 

My suggestions to check for poor solder, corrosion, cracked components etc. still stand. If you are feeling brave (or foolish) you could try cleaning the mechanicals too. Whats the worst that can happen, you have to replace the movement. 

9 minutes ago, AndyHull said:

No fix, no medal, thems the rules :D

I suspect the movement should look something like this.
Quartz.png.0529e58bf808746e316e3ab730ca2255.png

It seems it has been superseded by the ETA 956.031/2 Movement (double check that before you purchase though). 

My suggestions to check for poor solder, corrosion, cracked components etc. still stand. If you are feeling brave (or foolish) you could try cleaning the mechanicals too. Whats the worst that can happen, you have to replace the movement. 

Many thanks, now the fog is clearing, could not find the original movement ref on any site, may just replace the movement. 

David

On 1/7/2019 at 6:36 AM, AndyHull said:

It ain't the cheapest movement I've ever encountered, considering it is just a simple two hander :( 

http://www.ofrei.com/page548.html
http://www.watchpartssupply.com/eta-9560312-movement-p-297.html

It's Swiss. What else can you expect? I did fine an original 556.031, new,  listed on the US version of fleabay for $400. Ouch! The seller must be assuming that someone wishes to restore a valuable heirloom.

Edited by TexasDon
additional info