Getting started

I just wanted to ask for some advice on what watch or even pocket watch would be good to buy for a novice so I could take it apart and try to get some knowledge and actually make some use of my tools which are currently collecting dust and never really used apart from taking off the odd case back or strap, bare in mind in a complete novice so something simple that I would be able to get my head around, cheers guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just wanted to ask for some advice on what watch or even pocket watch would be good to buy for a novice so I could take it apart and try to get some knowledge and actually make some use of my tools which are currently collecting dust and never really used apart from taking off the odd case back or strap, bare in mind in a complete novice so something simple that I would be able to get my head around, cheers guys

Hi, start with a pocket watch maybe a Waltham 1899 model very basic.

Start with pocket watches, get two or more of the same caliber, advantages are

1- You have spare parts readily avaiable at home and can do without ungodly prices for parts 

2- You have exact copy of what you are working on, if you forget what goes where, you can look on the unstripped one.

3- You can assemble the  best dial plate, hands, case, crown into one better watch

4- You have extra parts to sell, pays for the hobbly and make some money on it too.

5-You get to know the culprits ...etc

6-Repetition lets you relax of fear of unknown and uncertainties, relaxation makes available more of you attention to details and make sense of them.

The list goes on

Take picture at each stage of disassembly, helpful at reassembly and to post on the forum for reference if you seek opinion and advice. You have a photo album of your own which you can help others with.

Check for similare items on line, you learn the names and terms of the trade of what you have at hand and get to be some appraiser on pricing, plus the market provides useful info to decide the next line that suits you.

.  Regards joe

• Like 1

Start with pocket watches, get two or more of the same caliber, advantages are
1- You have spare parts readily avaiable at home and can do without ungodly prices for parts 
2- You have exact copy of what you are working on, if you forget what goes where, you can look on the unstripped one.
3- You can assemble the  best dial plate, hands, case, crown into one better watch
4- You have extra parts to sell, pays for the hobbly and make some money on it too.
5-You get to know the culprits ...etc
6-Repetition lets you relax of fear of unknown and uncertainties, relaxation makes available more of you attention to details and make sense of them.
The list goes on
Take picture at each stage of disassembly, helpful at reassembly and to post on the forum for reference if you seek opinion and advice. You have a photo album of your own which you can help others with.
Check for similare items on line, you learn the names and terms of the trade of what you have at hand and get to be some appraiser on pricing, plus the market provides useful info to decide the next line that suits you.
.  Regards joe

Thanks for the reply and being so informative, il be sure to keep and eye out for some matching pieces now, cheers mate [emoji106]

Personally, my favorite is the Swiss ETA 6497/8 that used to be seen in a lot of pocket watches by companies that didn’t build their own movements, and they can still be found very clean and cheap, I also think they are beautiful. I’ve found them in a lot of old Arnex watches. That way you also have a common movement that is not proprietary to a big company. Just my option. Steve

You can also buy parts to turn it into a wristwatch! I’ve done that, plus VIctorinox has made some nice ones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

• Like 1

Second vote for the 6497 you can get a Chinese clone for about £30 and if you lose or damage a part you won’t have problem finding a replacement. I suggest you have a look at Marks course it’s tailored around this movement and is a great place to start.

• Like 1

I agree with the above, the 6497 and other Chinese movements are a relatively inexpensive way to learn.

A couple of other suggestions.

1) Any of the many second hand Citizen, HMT or Seiko watches from India. The quality may be uncertain, but they are cheap, and the movements are ubiquitous, so certainly worth studying. Don't pay much if you intend to take it apart, you can pick up some of the really scruffy ones for under £10, and I have several that are in my sub £4 collection.

2) Any of the sub £10 new Chinese mechanical watches, particularly the Automatic and Skeleton ones. The movements are usually quite large, so easy to work on, and since they are cheap, if you break it in an "interesting" way, you haven't lost much. If the budget allows, get two or three, so you can use one as a reference when stripping and re-assembling the others. If nothing else, the skeleton movement is a good conversation piece. Expect the quality to be low, but since this is a study piece, not a daily work horse, it doesn't really matter. 

3) Any mechanical watch advertised as "spares or repair" "overwound" or whatever. "Overwound" as a description usually means it simply needs a good clean, since it currently doesn't wind or go. Don't spend more than £5 on any specimens you don't intend to wear.

4) A lot of people will say "avoid pin levers" or "avoid Timex/Wetclox", since they are difficult to service. On the flip side, they are also dirt cheap second hand, and they provide some interesting challenges to get working.  

Edited by AndyHull