Hello from Chicago, the windy city

toppercat

Greetings all.  I live in the northwest burbs of Chicago.  I work as a locksmith and have done so for the past 20 years.  My grandfather and great grandfather were tool and die makers and instilled in me the respect of fine mechanical parts.  Also, locksmiths are known to have a love of fine time pieces as well.  Recently I discovered Marks youtube channel and pretty much watched every single one at least 3 times.  Fascinating.  I am currently working on making my own automatic 2824 movement diver style watch.  Since I don't dive I figure it would make the most sense.  lol.  Seriously.  I find this stuff amazing and using what I have learned about watchmaking in all the videos I have seen, I managed to repair 3 watches in my arsenal that I never thought I would be wearing again.  So Now I am here on this site and may have some questions down the line when I actually start putting the watch together.  Again, hello from the USA.  I am glad to be here.  

i most certainly will. I watched Marks video on making a watch from parts sourced on ebay.  I figured that would be perfect as I could actually make something I want the way I want it to look.  Yes.  a good chunk of the parts are made in china.  I will get the bracelet at Esslinger.  Who knows where that's made.  But I like it.  My friend's mother used to be a jeweler in Chicago.  He still has her sources for watch parts and such so I am going to source an ETA movement through him.  Or I may just get a Sellita SW200 movement.  Both are swiss.  That's what I want.   But I also want a black date ring.  Not a white one.  So I need to figure out how to change that.  I am not affraid to do so.  Just need to know whats involved.  I figure by spring it will be done.  I will post an image here.  It looks like a fun project for something I will have quite a long time.