Custom Build using Venus 170

11 minutes ago, bjd1020 said:

when was the subject part produced???

I really can't remember exactly when that testversion was printed maybe one year ago or so maybe longer.
Found it lying around in the corner of my projects box when looking for the name of the plating kit.

21 minutes ago, bjd1020 said:

I have the glass and mic'd the dias and even at the highest resolution it still has a hard time holding tolerance.

Yes you will Always have to tweek the version you 3D print since the material as you for sure know (PLA and ABS) is a bit runy since it is melted in the extruder. One gets the feeling for the settings you apply in your printing software contra the performance in your printer . Every printer has a slight variation. The most printers have a deviation of +0.2 to +0.4mm just because of the material properties.

How *NOT* to gold plate. (From the little I have learned, I suspect plating on to chrome is a non starter, but maybe there is something else going wrong here).

Caution: Contains ridiculously poor safety standards, (yellow marigold gloves as protection from potassium cyanide for example), so do not attempt any of this at home, or don't come crying to me if you do, and inadvertently poison yourself in the process. :unsure: 

Caution 2: If you haven't seen any of Cody's stuff before, you may well waste most of the rest of your day watching some of the other stuff he does. Everything from inhaling all (most) of the noble gasses to floating an anvil in mercury.

I have a heartbeat. Im not celebrating just yet however. One thing I learned, I think I know where the gritty feeling is coming from. I noticed when putting together the rocking bar, several gears on that assembly are toast. A few of the teeth are worn pointed. I tried to take the best gears from all the spares and it seemed to help a bit. Im also not completely sold on the balance. I ordered two complete balance assemblies including the bridges. My aim was to avoid having to put these together as its a bit challenging, however when I unpacked the order the balance wheels were not attached to the bridges. I attempted one assembly and when installed the hairspring it doesn't seem symmetrical. I think I may have something here not correct. Im going to have to do some research to make sure im doing that part correctly. The mechanism used to engage the hairspring to the regulator is different on both bridges I have, one seems stright forward the other not so much. Anyhow I dare not put it on the time graph as I dont want to take the wind out of my sails just yet. One thing, I am pleased with the plating and finished look. fae6d4559c1d057b77ac332aa4ee17d8.jpga32d7982a3a9c3239edccaa3514288d3.jpg

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok. If anybody is out there.......i put the watch on the time graph and its pretty ugly. The time graph keeps reseting trying to autodetect beat rate. Im not even sure what to set the rate or angle to. I am planning to go through all the verification checks in the manual and will also be installing hands and doing a check with that as well. Any advice on the time graph would be helpful. As for the balance assemblies. I have included a photo of the regulator boot, if anybody has a tutorial on how to install the wheel with this type of boot it would be appreciated. You can also see the way the hairspring sits, im not sure if this is normal. 3fc504b16050c74b3dc0f6b3c2fa70fc.jpg9dafe05193f233c728afad3a31149990.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Dial has finally arrived. Its been a couple of weeks since I have been able to work on the build however I have some information regarding balance and will be back on it next week. 66b770f78d26543983d8fc75eeb621bb.jpg

• Like 1

• 1 year later...
On 2/4/2019 at 7:26 PM, bjd1020 said:

Ok. If anybody is out there.......i put the watch on the time graph and its pretty ugly. The time graph keeps reseting trying to autodetect beat rate. Im not even sure what to set the rate or angle to. I am planning to go through all the verification checks in the manual and will also be installing hands and doing a check with that as well. Any advice on the time graph would be helpful. As for the balance assemblies. I have included a photo of the regulator boot, if anybody has a tutorial on how to install the wheel with this type of boot it would be appreciated. You can also see the way the hairspring sits, im not sure if this is normal. 3fc504b16050c74b3dc0f6b3c2fa70fc.jpg9dafe05193f233c728afad3a31149990.jpg

If you put hairspring into regulator pin, it will probably center around the jewel and will be fine. To insert into regulator pin, put the balance cock upside down on table and with screwdriver turn the small brass part as a screw (it has some ingress for screwdriver's tip). By turning it will free the small pin and you will be able to put hairspring between pin and brass part, turn it again to close it. Make sure you are doing it steady, very easy to mingle hairspring if screwdriver slips, as it requires some pressure.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/17/2019 at 12:55 PM, bjd1020 said:

Dial has finally arrived. Its been a couple of weeks since I have been able to work on the build however I have some information regarding balance and will be back on it next week. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190217/66b770f78d26543983d8fc75eeb621bb.jpg

Nice dial @bjd1020! Is this your design? How was it made? How's progress on this project?