Venus 170 Watch Hands

I am searching for hands for a venus 170 movement with not much luck. Im qssuming I can use any hand as long as the configuration is correct. IE length and diameter. I am fairly new to watch repair and was wondering if there is some generic information regarding watch hand nomenclature, sizing, etc that I can begin to learn from. I have the tech guide for the 170 however it only covers one side of the movement and not the internals. Thanks in advance for help.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

14 minutes ago, bjd1020 said:

Roger that. I suppose as far as the length is concerned thats dependent on the dial more so than the movement where as the hand hole size is the opposite????

Correct.

Otto Frei has a page dedicated to Venus 170 hands but any hands with the proper hole size and length should work.

Correct.
Otto Frei has a page dedicated to Venus 170 hands but any hands with the proper hole size and length should work.

Yeah my conversation with the Otto Frei guy didnt go so well yesterday when I called to order a cannon pinion and "grand wheel" (its whats listed in the tech guide I have). Also the tech guide I have shows the cannon pinion and large wheel as one peice. He went down the "are you a watch maker road with me" to which I responded
...."I can take them apart and put them back together....does that make me a watchmaker" and the conversation went south from there. Ive found that some suppliers are very particular to whom they sell to and others arent. I love working with Cas-Ker. They know a guy whos about to hemorrhage dollars when they see one.

Hello,

O. Frei has Venus 170 hands, but the diameter for the hour hand is smaller than that listed by Ranfft. You can try them, but I am guessing you'll have to modify the hour hand to fit. You can also try having hands custom made because it's unlikely you'll find a complete set with all "matching" hands. I did a quick search and it looks like you can assemble them separately except for the 0.28 second counter which I cannot find.

Venus 170 info.pdf

J

1 hour ago, noirrac1j said:

Hello,

O. Frei has Venus 170 hands, but the diameter for the hour hand is smaller than that listed by Ranfft. You can try them, but I am guessing you'll have to modify the hour hand to fit. You can also try having hands custom made because it's unlikely you'll find a complete set with all "matching" hands. I did a quick search and it looks like you can assemble them separately except for the 0.28 second counter which I cannot find.

Venus 170 info.pdf

J

Yes, I've ordered from OF once before I and do recall having to broach one of the hands.  Good catch @noirrac1j. :)

• Like 1

Not the easiest to find. But here are some. Have a box of generic hands . But don't think they go up to 2,05. What type of hands are you after? 
Im looking for availability for the venus 170. I was hoping to broaden my search by going generic but I will need to know the diameters, which I dont at this point. As far as lengths I will determine that when I get my dial design completed. My plan is to design a watch with this movement. I have read another post where a gent has restored a 170. Im waiting to hear back on etiquette recomendations and will either add my build to that thread or start a new one.

Hello,
Venus 170 info.pdf

J

So the two small hands on the upper and lower dials are both .2mm dia???

4 hours ago, bjd1020 said:

Yeah my conversation with the Otto Frei guy didnt go so well yesterday when I called to order a cannon pinion and "grand wheel" (its whats listed in the tech guide I have). Also the tech guide I have shows the cannon pinion and large wheel as one peice. He went down the "are you a watch maker road with me" to which I responded
...."I can take them apart and put them back together....does that make me a watchmaker" and the conversation went south from there. 

Otto Frei-:pulling-hair-out:They're terrible at customer service. Calling is an exercise in patience and perseverance.

No, they are different diameters. I'm sorry for the differing numbers, but these are now from the French language Valjoux movement specs.

1755515892_ScreenShot2019-01-03at2_47_01PM.thumb.png.def1d0b0ff727b96b0ae54a85dc2d8f7.png

The top small hand (compl de minute) is listed as .27/.30

The bottom small seconds (d'aiguille de seconds) is listed as .21/.24

The minute is listed as 1.30, hour as 2.00/2.05 and sweep center is .27/.30

I don't know why they have two measurements for the sub dials, but there may be variations depending on the year.

J

29 minutes ago, bjd1020 said:

So the two small hands on the upper and lower dials are both .2mm dia???

No, they are different diameters. I'm sorry for the differing numbers, but these are now from the French language Valjoux movement specs.
1755515892_ScreenShot2019-01-03at2_47_01PM.thumb.png.def1d0b0ff727b96b0ae54a85dc2d8f7.png
The top small hand (compl de minute) is listed as .27/.30
The bottom small seconds (d'aiguille de seconds) is listed as .21/.24
The minute is listed as 1.30, hour as 2.00/2.05 and sweep center is .27/.30
I don't know why they have two measurements for the sub dials, but there may be variations depending on the year.
J

Ok. Im probably going to invest in a set of broaches. I am thinking it will just make things easier.

If you google “hands venus 170” and “aiguilles venus 170” and look at the images, you will see a few options - notably watchesulike and urdelar. You might like to try a few other languages too
Never thought of that. Thank you for the tip!!