Watch case size

Cjw180

I have refurbished a few watches, but I have never had to re-case a watch before. I am having trouble in finding a case of the correct size, are there any charts that relate the size of the movement or dial to a case size? I have searched but I just confuse myself more each time I try.

Almost certainly no such chart exists. Notwithstanding that a lot of cases don't have an ID on to start with, watch manufacturers will have designed their cases to fit their choice of movement-with-dial so there is no need/incentive to have some industry wide 'bestfit' chart. 

Important dimensions can always be found on a great resource like ranfft. Here you can find your movement and its key attributes (click on the Comments about the data link on a ranfft page to get help on what the terms mean if you need to). If you find the dimensions for your movement and then were to find a case that was designed to house a different movement but that has the same (or very nearly the same) dimensions then there's a good chance your movement will fit. The 'wildcard' however can be the dial e.g. the outside dimension of a 11.5''' movement is typically 26mm but the dial on it could be anything upwards of this and vary by several mm from manufacturer to manufacturer depending on their design of their watch..

With this in mind it might be helpful to understand what exactly you're trying to do e.g. what specific movement you have; what is the dial width; and when you say 're-case' are you trying to find a replacement case etc.?

Edited by WatchMaker
  • Like 1