In need of some help

So recently acquired a 1601 stainless steel datejust at a reasonable price and the watch is in working order and is currently keeping good time but there are a few things wrong and I’m not sure how big/small they actually are...firstly when unwinding the crown and attempting to manually wind it fills rather gritty and doesn’t fill like and tension builds up while winding??? Secondly when trying to pull out the crown to the second position as if you were wanting to change the date it fills like it can’t lock it’s self in place and jumps straight to the time changing position and even when you do manage to get it into position upon winding there’s no change to the Callander wheel....and lastly when changing the time the hands seem to collide a little bit only when turning anti clock wise, I know a service will be due but I just wanted to some of the thoughts from a few other members and if anyone could possibly have an idea of what it might be and how much it could potentially end up costing

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As far as I am aware, the 1601 is a non-quickset watch, meaning there is no date-change setting. You have to go all the way around in time-setting mode to advance the date. Sorry.

The “gritty” winding could be any number of things (dried oil, worn gears, etc).

The hands may have been misaligned during a previous service. If they truly are rubbing you’d see marks in the lower hands where the upper ones have rubbed. Do you see any such marks?

If wound( say a day on wrist) then palced on bench ( static position)  how long would it run?  This gives an idea of the actual power reserve, therefore the mainspring issues, broken, weak etc.

Hands colliding on return can be due to hour wheel not secured down in place add those to stem issues, I wounder if a movement was assembled by this guy:sword:  with parts supplied by this one:judge:.

Thanks for the reply’s guys and yes a 1601 shouldn’t have a quickset date function you’re exactly right (next time il think before I speak) haha well I’ve spoken to a little watch store in the city where I live and I’m gonna pop it in there Saturday and let them take good care of it, I initially spoke with an authorised Rolex dealer and they quoted me silly money and told me I would have to probably replace my bracelet on the watch which I find rather funny but what do I know, I would much prefer to give my money to an independent that somewhere like that and that’s not to say I have anything against them but it’s just fills right to me, anyway I’m rabbiting on now but once again thanks for the replies it much appreciated

Thanks for the reply’s guys and yes a 1601 shouldn’t have a quickset date function you’re exactly right (next time il think before I speak) haha well I’ve spoken to a little watch store in the city where I live and I’m gonna pop it in there Saturday and let them take good care of it, I initially spoke with an authorised Rolex dealer and they quoted me silly money and told me I would have to probably replace my bracelet on the watch which I find rather funny but what do I know, I would much prefer to give my money to an independent that somewhere like that and that’s not to say I have anything against them but it’s just fills right to me, anyway I’m rabbiting on now but once again thanks for the replies it much appreciated

You lucky guy ...

Firstly as you own a 1601 [emoji7] (one of the most simply elegant Rolex model in my opinion) with those nice pie-pan dials

Secondly because you didn't contracted with a Rolex authorized dealer [emoji6]
Not that I want to throw stones to ADs but they definitely ask silly money for service plus they push people to change parts even when there's no need.
A friend of mine let her 40 years old full gold DJ to an AD for service and guess what ... they sold her a service dial !!! and of course did not give the original back to her.

So let that little watch store take care of your 1601 if they can do ... if you're lucky enough you'll discover that your movement is a hacking 1575, a real workhorse if properly serviced.

And never ever change your dial and bracelet (or any else part).
Pie-pan dials often age nicely and that aging "tells history".
Bracelets sometimes get too much stretch but they can be repaired ... or else you still can use a nice leather strap and keep your bracelet safe.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

7 hours ago, sweeney90 said:

Much like the story manodeoro warned you of  :judge:  ocasionally borrowing parts off of your watch is commonplace on my side of the globe to the point the owner often stands next to :judge:  to make sure. Parts for this piece = Rolex prestige  Good luck pal.