east3rn

need help on opening up this watch!

Question

Hello dear watchmakers. 

I am about to work on a Civis vintage watch from Germany.

The case of the watch looks like a typical watch case with a snap-off back.

However, the crown and stem won't come out of the case and what seems like an inner casing is actually part of the case.

Frustrated, I turned the watch over to find any opening on the bezel but it is also a part of the case.

How could I get the movement out of the case?? Any advice would be a great help. 

Thank you.

11 answers to this question

Some times the case just consists of two parts the actual case and the glass. This style of watch uses something called two part stem which could be female or male. The stem has to gently be separated. 
Then you can use glass claws to remove the glass, or just apply a puff of air with a big plastic 150 ml syringe through the crown tube on the casing. Make sure it's airtight between the tube and syringe.
Once you removed the stem and glass the movement falls out.

Hmm... wonder what's going on here? When I look at this thread on my Iphone there are indeed nice photos attached with the first post. But when I open the thread from my laptop they are not there.

Just wanted to mention that one of the photo's show the watch with the stem pulled out far enough to definitely have separated the two parts if this was indeed a split stem.

And the same photo show a brass ring between the movement and the casing. But it's not one of those flimsy movement holders that are quite common on some older watches but a more massive metal ring that I have seen in a few cases where the movement was significantly smaller than the casing. Can't remember if they were just pushed in or threaded into the casing to push down the dial and movement.

3 hours ago, AndyHull said:

I think we need to see some good quality pictures of the watch in question before we can attempt to answer the question.

Hello. I think this is the best I can get. Photos look a bit dark...

KakaoTalk_20190102_202522006.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190102_202522777.jpg

KakaoTalk_20190102_202523434.jpg

3 hours ago, HSL said:

Some times the case just consists of two parts the actual case and the glass. This style of watch uses something called two part stem which could be female or male. The stem has to gently be separated. 
Then you can use glass claws to remove the glass, or just apply a puff of air with a big plastic 150 ml syringe through the crown tube on the casing. Make sure it's airtight between the tube and syringe.
Once you removed the stem and glass the movement falls out.

2 hours ago, bsoderling said:

Hmm... wonder what's going on here? When I look at this thread on my Iphone there are indeed nice photos attached with the first post. But when I open the thread from my laptop they are not there.

Just wanted to mention that one of the photo's show the watch with the stem pulled out far enough to definitely have separated the two parts if this was indeed a split stem.

And the same photo show a brass ring between the movement and the casing. But it's not one of those flimsy movement holders that are quite common on some older watches but a more massive metal ring that I have seen in a few cases where the movement was significantly smaller than the casing. Can't remember if they were just pushed in or threaded into the casing to push down the dial and movement.

Well, I pulled out the stem and to my surprise, it is not split stem!

Also, I managed to pop out the glass and movement is removed from the case.

Now I am ready for disassembly of the movement. Thank you for your generous help!

KakaoTalk_20190102_204202994.jpg

Just as a curiosities, this is how a case for a two stem usually looks like. One could think it's just like a snap-off but it isn't. It has a solid back.

Certina1.jpg

Certina2.jpg

Certina3.jpg

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By rduckwor
      Most of my learning efforts are on old, vintage movements; some in great shape, some not so much.  I often find a screw or two that are stuck tight.  Not rusted, just "aged-in-place"  I try typically to put a drop of 9010 on the back side of the screw hole and let them sit and soak.  Sometimes this works well.  I gently heat them by moving my work light close to the movement and allow them to cool which may help move lubricant into the threads.

When this doesn't work, I'm stuck (no pun intended).  Have you a method that also help loosen these old screws up?  If so, please share it.

Thanks,

RMD

• By east3rn
      Hello dear watch repairers.
      I am working on a Bifora 910 manual wind movement.
      The movement was cleaned and oiled yesterday and I have been testing the performance.
      I noticed that when the watch is fully wound, the amplitude reaches somewhere above 300 and rate gets super high.
      However after about 5 minutes, both amplitude and rate plunge to a very low state.
      I thought mainspring was the reason so I took the barrel out, cleaned the mainspring and applied 8200 oil again only to get the similar result.
      What do you think is the problem and what can be done??
      I am always thankful for your help.

this is when fully wound

After 5 minutes
    • By martintheone
      My great Aunt died a couple years back. She had had been married to a man that owned a jewelry store back in the early 80's. In her estate was a number of great treasures and even literal gems.  After the estate sale not much was left, but I did end up with what Ive deduced to be a Vintage Elma watch parts cleaner.  And that is about as much as I have been able to figure out. None of the searches I've performed on the internet have returned with the exact model that I have. Not even an image... Similar , yes. The same . no. ..
      I don't have a clue as to how to operate any watch parts cleaner, much less one with minimal text (german) to clue one in on function of switches and dials. So, I can't verify it is in working order. I did notice that the plug had a short in it so I replaced that, Plugged it in and a light above the switch lights up after being flipped, but again end of my road of investigation... So basically, I would really appreciate any information at all about this machine

• By east3rn
      Hello dear watch repairers.
      I am disassembling a vintage citizen caliber 0200.
      It is a manual wind caliber with 21 jewels.
      I usually do not have much problem disassembling simple movement like this.
      However, the rachet wheel screw is very stiff and won't move at all.
      I tried to unscrew it anti-clockwise with nicely fitting screwdriver but it is stuck.
      Actually I have an bad experience with a citizen movement like this before.
      It was cal.1801, very similar to 0200 and only difference was the date function. 
      I had same issue with the rachet wheel screw and I ended up breaking the screw. The head part of the screw came apart.
      Is this a typical issue with citizen calibers?? or am I doing it wrong??
      Please help me out!

caliber 0200.

• By east3rn
      Hello dear watchmakers. 
      Last week, I was lucky enough to get my self a beautiful vintage Seiko chronograph watch with 7015 movement.
      The overall condition looked great so I did not expect any problem with the watch.
      However, over the last few days, I noticed that this watch stops around 1~2am when the day disk moves to the next day. 
      At first, I thought there was no residual power in the mainspring but the watch won't start after being shaken for some time.
      It runs well and keeps good timing after I move the day disk manually by adjusting hands by crown till the next night around 1 am.
      Could you please give me any ideas on this issue?? I really love this watch and want to make this watch perfectly functional. Thank you.
      I put some photo of the watch and what timegrapher tells