opinions please

yankeedog

Hello all,

Santa left a weishi 1900 under the tree. I am having fun with it.I have been going through some of my watches with it and learning about them.I am gaining  new respect for the vostok 2209 movement.One of the features I like about them is the movable hairspring  stud, it allows me to adjust for beat error pretty easily. I find however that it also effects amplitude.My question is this, do I adjust for maximum amplitude or minimum beat error?

Minimum beat error should in theory result in better amplitude. It may be that when the beat error is significantly wrong then the timegrapher gets confused. Remember that it's only an estimation based on the sounds heard from the escapement. You alos don't need to go OTT with the beat error. For 18000 trains, keeping it in the low number of mS is good and sub-1mS is excellent. It does not have a significant effect on timekeeping as I guess you may already know.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Remember to wind the watch fully then let it run down for at least 30 minutes before making final adjustments. Also, after adjustments, let it stabilise for a few minutes.

After some time spent with this machine you will learn to stop chasing rainbows! That said, they can be invaluable for troubleshooting.

There is a Witschi guide on line somewhere that gives a good starting point for understanding what you are seeing.  There are also many incomplete tables of lift angles. I remember where this one is as I like to read the blog pages... https://watchguy.co.uk/cgi-bin/lift_angles

• Thanks 1