Hello from the Midwest US

billknechtel

Hello!

Due to my introverted nature, I'm embarrassingly bad at walking into a room and saying "Hello, everybody! Guess who just joined the party?!", but I'll do my best.  Professionally, I'm a computer programmer/web developer and spend a non-trivial amount of time in front of a keyboard making the world a better place, one byte at a time. Personally, I'm a husband, father, photographer, general tinkerer, fountain pen enthusiast, and most recently the co-owner of a little coffee shop & deli. I suppose you could say that at 42 years of age, I still don't know what I want to be when I grow up.

I own a few heirloom watches, and I've always had a fascination with mechanical watches, though I've never really chased that fascination to the point of actively pursuing it as a hobby - until now. Traditionally, I've worn inexpensive quartz watches, and a two years ago was given a nifty smart watch which I enjoyed very thoroughly - until it up and died a couple of months ago. I realized at that point, that even in the best of circumstances, a smart watch  will only last a handful of years, and I'd rather put something mechanical on my wrist.  And because of the way I'm wired - I'd also learn to tear it apart and put it back together in well-working order.  

So here I am.  I hope to learn a lot and perhaps develop a few friendships along the way.  While finding adequate time may be a bit of a challenge,  I'm looking forward to the adventure!

Kind Regards,
Bill

Welcome Bill,

Even though I'm a relative noob to this forum myself, I can assure you that you've landed in a great spot. Lots of help, advice and encouragement await you. The cumulative amount of knowledge here is almost beyond belief. They are even tolerant of us quartz fanatics. Sorry to read that your smart watch died. One of my favorite watches is an early 1990's vintage Seiko quartz that still keeps accurate time within +/- 20 seconds/year. It takes all kinds......

Again, welcome to a very friendly forum.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.