What type of glass is this?

Hello all, hope Christmas went well! Here we just had 34 degrees on the 24th. Hard to eat with such temperatures!

Back to the fun, I would like to replace a glass, but could not find a topic on these rimmed glasses. Please point me to it, if it already exists.

faf61a1fa95d3aefd3db5738a7d40e34.jpg019f8ffd92a2902a2528b95a682156fd.jpg

My question is: is it necessary to extract the acrylic from the rim? Press or extractor? Or in the catalogs the glasses can be bought with rims already fitted? What is the technical name for this rimmed glass? (I browsed the pdfs from Cousins and Esslinger, but may have missed the glass for not knowing the correct name)

Sorry for the basic question..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Looks like it has a crystal ring. The chromed ring is a part that holds the crystal to the case. What kind of watch do you have. Or brand. I know omega has that kind of Crystal ring. it's maybe easier to find a specific crystal for the brand. 

No need to be sorry. It's a good question. We are here to help.  

• Like 1

9 hours ago, nickelsilver said:

Rodabod is right, the metal part is part of the case. There are crystals with a metal ring inside which are called armored crystals, in your case you need a regular "wedge-ledge" crystal. Pop the crystal out of the bezel and measure it.

In which case I'm wrong. Apologies for misinformation.

• Like 1

Rodabod is right, the metal part is part of the case. There are crystals with a metal ring inside which are called armored crystals, in your case you need a regular "wedge-ledge" crystal. Pop the crystal out of the bezel and measure it.

Thank you all, Rodabod, rogarth63, eezy, Nickelsilver.
I extracted the acrylic and found the model as FHF 186 at ranfft.
bebc61c7d1bdddc3ee77ab6a4dd8f1d0.jpg82fa8aed1fd60da2c5f9950122e2a936.jpg
bc5097d313534cb599ed4847e1f85fea.jpg

The acrylic measures 2.97 mm. Exactly. The instruction from the videos is to get an even measurement. Should I assume that the acrylic lost 0.1mm then? Or it was 2.97 back in the day, and now we can only get 296 or 298?
A mineral watch glass from cousins, of a similar curvature comes with 2.97. I will go for this one, if you agree.
fb96bf210266b311b2c19a92482cd467.jpg

The mainspring is listed as Zf1124. Watchguy does not give anything that matches this. This may be the case of measuring it. Is it?

Thanks for your time! I really appreciate the help.

It's not designed to take a mineral glass, thopugh you could experiment to see if you can fit one. You must buy it with a gasket included if you do this, and consider that the gasket adds to the overall diamater.

The correct type of crystal for this is most likely an acrylic Sternkreuz N, with size 29.8mm, assuming your crystal is no larger than 29.7mm. Alternatively measure the rebate in the ring and aim for around 0.2mm larger.

• Like 1

Oops. Ranfft gives all the info for the mainspring. Only doubt is whether to buy a lengthier spring or a shorter one, when there is no exact match.
Ranfft gives 1.45 width;9.5 diam;0.10strength;315 length

Cousins has 1.45 x 0.10(strength) x 340 length x 9

Mainspring is listed as:
Mainspring, 1.45 x .10 x 320 x 9 Non-Automatic
So go for the closest in length to that, as that length is now obsolete. The length makes a fractional difference to the operation, so try:
1.45 x 0.10 x 300 x 9 Non-Automatic
(GR3953)  

You were too quick! I was typing the question and you sent the answer.

It's not designed to take a mineral glass, thopugh you could experiment to see if you can fit one. You must buy it with a gasket included if you do this, and consider that the gasket adds to the overall diamater.

The correct type of crystal for this is most likely an acrylic Sternkreuz N, with size 29.8mm, assuming your crystal is no larger than 29.7mm. Alternatively measure the rebate in the ring and aim for around 0.2mm larger.

Very exciting morning with your help.

So to try the mineral glass, I chose the closest gasket, with an external diameter of 29.60 (the other option was 30.00) in the hope the I-ring can be stretched by 0.1 mm once the glass is pressed.

For the glass, the internal gasket diameter is 28.88, so I chose a MDT sternkreutz 28.9

Juggling with 0.1 mms here and there. Hope this is right..

Mainspring is listed as:
Mainspring, 1.45 x .10 x 320 x 9 Non-Automatic
So go for the closest in length to that, as that length is now obsolete. The length makes a fractional difference to the operation, so try:
1.45 x 0.10 x 300 x 9 Non-Automatic
(GR3953)  

Can I also replace a 9.5 barrel diameter spring for a 9.0 without compromising? Barrel is 9.5 internal diam. Cousins only has a 9.5 with 340 mm and a T-end.

For mineral glasses, the gasket is approximately the same size, so that it "just" fits. If the rebate in the bezel is 29.6mm then it will hopefully fit with enough friction.

Have you considered how thick the glass should be?

Have you considered that the clearance from the dial will be reduced with a flat-bottom crystal? You can test to see if this is ok before buying the crystal.

Take my advice and buy a Sternkreuz N while you are making the order!

4 minutes ago, marcoskaiser said:

Can I also replace a 9.5 barrel diameter spring for a 9.0 without compromising? Barrel is 9.5 internal diam. Cousins only has a 9.5 with 340 mm and a T-end.

Don't worry too much about what they quote as a barrel diameter. It's just an indication of what they expect the approximate barrel diameter to be based on the length of the spring and the thickness of it.

For mineral glasses, the gasket is approximately the same size, so that it "just" fits. If the rebate in the bezel is 29.6mm then it will hopefully fit with enough friction.
Have you considered how thick the glass should be?
Have you considered that the clearance from the dial will be reduced with a flat-bottom crystal? You can test to see if this is ok before buying the crystal.
Take my advice and buy a Sternkreuz N while you are making the order!

Thank you for the help. I will definitely get a spare acrylic as a plan B.
As for the glass, 0.80mm, without flat bottom. We shall see. Hope not to ruin the thing.