Family "Grand Father" clock

nad

Morning all, here's hoping that you've all have had a fine Christmas break.

Work and family circumstances have resulted in little input to the forum from me for a while. Hopefully that is going to change.

Have been busy with a few Hermle, Smith's and Elliott mantle clocks over recent months with some success. My eyes find them easier to work on these days but still have a few watch projects pending. The Elliott was a joy to work on so looking forward to finding a further example.

Attached is a picture of the family “Grandfather” long case clock which I've recently inherited which might be if interest to some of you. She runs but the strike doesn't and needs a little attention which, together with a gentle clean, will be a future long term project.

Know in the family as “Clock Penrhedyn” after the old farm. I can track her history through the family in South Wales back to the turn of the last century but, to be honest, I've no idea how old she really is.

NAD

a3a8b6d044cd84d6354a5e31df153f33.jpgc70f6d5235c7c479e8ce7a934d926123.jpg

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk

Hi OH
That's YNISPENLWCH

We've always thought that it was a corruption of the Welsh for Ynyspenllwch which was a couple of miles away from the farm.

It used to be the site of an early iron and tinplate works back in the early 1800's which I'm guessing is about the age of the clock.
45898425e8c1d1d21cfef220968d3cb8.jpg

Even Jenkins from Crickhowell is listed in Watchmakers and Clockmakers Vol 2 by Brian Loomas.

From the dial of the clock it is around 1820’s to 30’s the hood is called Swan Neck style with a brass-arched dial. It has blued steel hands which are in very good condition. 

With your permission, I would like to move this tread to the clocks forum.

Thank you for that OH appreciate the information, she's older than I thought.

Crickhowell would tie in, not too far away and I believe there were family connections in the Brecon area. Wasn't aware of the Brian Lomas book that you mentioned, will try and find a copy for myself for future reference.

My mother had some work done on the clock about 20 years ago.  It still keeps good time when running but, given that it's not been cleaned for a while and the suspension spring looks nibbled, I don't intend to run her regularly untill that's been worked on.

As a young lad I remember the clock in the home of one of my grand aunt's, it seemed huge and the pendulum fascinated me.

More than happy for you to move the thread to a more appropriate area.