Cimier sport Chronograph Lapanouse running very fast

cduke

Hello All,

I dug a 60's - 70's Cimier sport chronograph out of my "project" box  and was able to get the escapement wheel to work but the watch now runs very fast ( a couple of hours fast in a day).  I suspect the hairspring may be clumped or simply bad. Upon inspection though, it did not look too bad.  The regulator has no real effect on the speed of the wheel. Any ideas or thoughts on what may be making this watch run fast?

I know these are not the best quality movements but there are many out there still working.

Thanks for your help.

First of all I would demagnetise the watch. Remove the balance and clean it in some ronsonol lighter fluid. You might need to just demagnetise the balance again. You can test to see if the hairspring is clean and demagnetized by lightly touching the hairspring with your tweezers or a clean free from oil oiler; just make sure they are demagnetised. The same goes for any tools you use on watch movements.   

• Thanks 2

Perhaps I did not explain clearly.  When I said "short" I should have said "effectively short" such as the coils sticking together. This fault can be caused by grease or by the coils being magnetised and of cause the coil/s being bent out of shape. 

• Thanks 1

Yes we are using different terms to say the same , I guess the terminolgy is expandable, effectively, active length, functioning length, working length of the h/s, which alters in case of hairspring sticking, for any reason. 

I don,t know the term used to describe the fault when a concentric cicles of h/s coil gets on top of the adjacent one, rendering the h/s out of level, this ineficiency limits me pointing out possible issues to other members. 

Thank you Clockboy for taking the time to respond as much as you do.

Regards joe

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/26/2018 at 1:21 PM, oldhippy said:

First of all I would demagnetise the watch. Remove the balance and clean it in some ronsonol lighter fluid. You might need to just demagnetise the balance again. You can test to see if the hairspring is clean and demagnetized by lightly touching the hairspring with your tweezers or a clean free from oil oiler; just make sure they are demagnetised. The same goes for any tools you use on watch movements.   

Thanks again OH.  The balance /hairspring assembly  was removed and cleaned in a naptha solution, reinstalled and it is running very close to accurate time.  Probably as good as it ever was. Regards.