The Expanding the Seiko Collection

Wdc

Added a couple new watches to my Seiko collection last night I thought I would share. The first is somewhat underwhelming at first glance, and what does one say about an underwhelming watch? It has good bones, it’s a good foundational piece, etc. etc.  

Well in my case none of the above. The watch was a match to one I already own a “Seiko 5 Automatic 6119-8400” August 1969, WATER PROOF with three mouth spread between the two watches probably as close as ones going to find without divine intervention.   

Why do I want two? I don’t, I want three…lol anyone that caught my interdiction will know I am on a mission, put together three matching collection of vintage Seiko’s to pass on to my three sons when I am not around. So as far as this watch goes, I am 33% away from my goal.  Found in the UK.

Second watch is just fun and considered a TV watch and one that screams 1968-1970 all over again.This is a  Seiko 5 6119-5400, Square Automatic day date 21 jewels, original wristband.  It  has an interesting band that is claimed to be original wristband and found in Egypt.   

I generally try to keep my collection grounded around the infamous 6139, 6138 series but one has to occasionally push the boundary. 

All the best, 

Will

Seiko 5 Automatico Vintage 6119 8400 No-1-01.jpg

Seiko 5 - 6119-5400,  Square Brown-11.jpg

Edited by Wdc
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
15 minutes ago, yankeedog said:

I just love stainless steel. I don't why anyone would make a case out of anything else.That and the durability of the seiko movement makes for a watch that is very hard to beat.

Making SS cases invloves forging and moulds which require considerable investment  and would make sense only for high quantiy production. Base metals are inexpensive to mould.

The exceprion to this are SS or titanium cases for high end watches which are hand made thereby avoid high forging expenses, needless to say you pay for high cost of each handmade case.