Quartz Ronda 751: Direct Handwinding Mechanical Movement Replacement?

RJC87

Question

Hi guys! I have a watch that uses a Ronda 751 quartz movement (see pic). For those unfamiliar, it’s a small tonneau shaped movement - usually a woman’s size (5½ x 6¾ linge and 2.5mm thick) with the following specs:

Linge Size: 5½ x 6¾, 2.50mm thick

Hand Size: 120/70

Stem: 401-1237

Cell/Battery/Power Source: 379

Tap Size: 10

I’d like to replace it with a mechanical movement: I started off looking for a direct drop in replacement but it’s proved very difficult. I haven’t found any modern movements with the same dimensions (although to be fair I haven’t had much luck finding a comprehensive listing of modern movements available). As far as the vintage movements go, (from here: http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk) the ETA 2480 (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&ETA_2482) is a good example of the vast majority of what’s available— the right dimensions but 1mm too thick. And for a 2.5mm movement, 1mm is a ton. 

The Tissot 530 (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Tissot_530), and Enicar 672/678 (http://www.ranfft.de/cgi-bin/bidfun-db.cgi?10&ranfft&0&2uswk&Enicar_672) are the 2 that seem closest but they are still a half mil too thick. And worse, even if it fits, where would I even begin looking for one?

Does anyone one have any knowledge of a movement that would work or one I could modify a bit to fit? Or any idea the best place to look??

Thanks in advance for the help and I love the forum!!

2283BFF4-BFFE-4575-989F-2537E3C559FC.jpeg

2 answers to this question

I would say that this is a problem you are unlikely to solve.

2.5mm mechanical movements do exist, but movements that thin are few and far between. You can check out a few of the manufacturers sites... ETA, Miyota, Ronda, etc and Cousins has brochures of Chinese movements. The only modern movement I saw that thin is the ETA7001, which is round and way too large.

Vintage movements were rarely that thin as you will have found from Ranfft.

• Similar Content

• By Displacement
      Hello WRT! Glad to have found your site, the resources here are incredible for a beginning hobbyist like myself. 
      I purchased a project LeJour 7000 (Valjoux 7750 powered) that is currently running hilariously fast- something like +2 hours per day. I purchased it with the intent to drop in a modern, more decorated 7750.
      The LeJour has a Day/Date dial (Seen here) but I've found a date-only 7750 that would fit the bill. Is it possible to use this movement and just add the day wheel from my current movement? Is the underlying hardware all there?
      Even better, what is the best way to research the parts necessary to do the conversion?
      Thanks all!
    • By MyFavoriteObsession
      I picked the up the 1945 Bulova Cadet as a non-worker on eBay, then I received a parts lot that had a Westfield case and dial. Of course, I had to get a 1940 Westfield Trojan cousin movement for it. 

Unfortunately, I didn't notice til this morning that the replacement Westfield had a curved dial whereas my case had a flat dial and it doesn't fit. Oh well, guess I'll have to buy more watches. 
    • By Oras
      Can anyone tell me what these cards are?  They are from a watchmakers shop. I bought them just as a record of an era when physical files had to be kept.   Thank you in advance  

• By toptime810
      Can someone tell me the millimeter distance between the two registers on a Venus 175 movement? I am trying to find out if my movement will fit a Venus 175 dial.
    • By FL
      I need assistance, please!
      I have a Pierre Cardin dress watch without a battery/cell and has no numerical identification anywhere in, or on the case. The only ID type info is as follows: it says "Jour" on the inside of the case-back. On the movement is says "Le Jour" with no other wording or numbering. The questions are: What battery/cell would this movement use? and, What movement might this be? Replacement movement? I have tried to research this to no avail.

Then, can anyone suggest a replacement movement for a Timex Electric M cell; once again no case numbers. However, the inside of the case-back has "QTO" factory marking stamp. Additionally, on the movement itself it has a "04" at approximately the 7 position and a "126" at approximately the 2 position.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks