We have another clock competition.

oldhippy

The backcock seems to have been altered in some way it has a different coloured brass dove tailed into the top, so has it been converted to a suspension pendulum rather than having the pendulum directley fitted to the staff. The movement has been propped forward at an angle is this an attempt to stop the verge from moving and disengaging from the crown wheel due to wear ?

Also why have the fusee arbours got holes drilled in the middle ?

I also note that this is not the first time the seller has tried to sell this clock it was originally listed in September but was complete with movement brackets which have since been removed.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/282023666266

I should have said barrel arbours not fusee arbours that have holes in

Edited by wls1971

Most of what I spotted and a lot I didn't spot has already been mentioned, but clearly its a marriage of the movement to the dial and case, which explains the horrible hacking up of the baseboard to provide the clearance for the pendulum

I also cant decide if the hour and minute hand are a set, or mismatched.

I would of thought this dial should be silvered too, but it looks to be just brass.

Certainly not worth the asking price

What we have is a verge-striking movement with a completely different replacement pendulum. You do not have a suspension spring with an original verge escapement. Many original verge escapements will only have one pivot which goes into the inside plate, the other end will be a V shape that sits in the back cock. That cock has be altered; the brass is a different colour, as so rightly pointed out. It would have had the V end, it has been changed to a pivot end, that is why a part has been added and the whole pitch to the castle wheel has changed. You have to be extremely careful when moving such a clock. You must tilt it into yourself to prevent the V shape from lifting. Some have a cover to prevent such a thing happening, it is very important to check first. I suspect that the movement and dial is a marriage to that case. There is nothing to hold that movement in place to that case. The reason it is tilted, if you look carefully that piece of odd wood isn’t even the width of the movement. The hands are correct but the hour looks a little heavy. The hook is still there to attach the original verge pendulum. The pendulum is a bodge up from top to bottom. Have you noticed the poor re-bushing for the fusee cone on the strike side? It stands out like a sore thumb.  

I think I have covered everything.

Everyone who has remarked about the clock has got some points right. :Bravo:

• 1 month later...

I am a new member, therefore did not see this when listed, however can I add three things to the list. The right side screw in the backcock is a replacement and the hammer looks to be set halfway through the strike and the foot looking at the case from the back is also a replacement and a poor one at that.