Oiling Pivots w/ no jewels

Yes you should oil. The trick is movements like the one showed do not have oil wells. So be careful not to over oil, You do not want to flood the plate, so make sure it doesn't come out over the pivots circle.

The tiniest amount of oil on the pallet pivots.  

• Like 3

It is not like a well you would have if the pivot were jewelled. Besides those circles are so big if you filled them with oil you would flood the plates and the movement would not work correctly. He is a new member and at a guess inexperienced.    

BobHadababyitsab, no question is dumb.

• Like 2

• 4 years later...
6 hours ago, 316lad said:

9010 be the stuff to use

9020 would be better as it's less likely to spread. 9010 has a habit of spreading unless you use epilam.

Out of curiosity I was looking at whatever time makes manuals I have because Timex is famous for no jewels. So their update the lubrication and 74 formally had them using ELGIN M56B Oil which is outstanding oil that has a habit of not spreading but hard to get because Elgin wasn't making it anymore. So their recommendation is 9010. Then in the service guides themselves the use the Words carefully metered  Which is exactly what oldhippy Was describing.

• Like 2

Epilam is very expensive. As I said just a tiny drop of oil is needed, if you do that it wont run all over the place.  Pallets/ escape wheel, A tiny drop on every other tooth of the escape wheel and the contact of the pallet pins will pick up enough to spread it around the rest of the teeth. Going about it this way you do not need to oil the pallet pins.