Ingersoll sealion

Johnnie

I think I will put this watch away, as I don't see anyway of replacing the bezel other than checking eBay in the hope of finding a "non runner" thank you all for your time and help. 
Hi Johnnie ... sorry for not reacting sooner.
I'll send you a sketch with some more dimensions you could check and I'll ask a friend of mine if he could turn a custom bezel.
For free of course ... I've helped him on some watch repairs so if he can he'll be glad to do that.
Then we'll take care of the custom insert ... just for the challenge so still for free.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 12/22/2018 at 9:16 PM, Johnnie said:

The gauge I have can't get into groove! Will need to buy something else.

Method.. Take two pieces of material that do fit in the groove and are deeper than the groove (two pieces of wire or plastic, or brass bar for example), place them in the groove ensuring they touch the bottom. Measure across the groove, including the two pieces of material, call that "A". Measure the width of the two pieces of material, call that "B". Subtract "B" from "A", and you have the width (diameter) of the bottom of the groove.

Edited by AndyHull
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/16/2019 at 12:04 AM, Johnnie said:

Hi, sorry I haven't posted the measurements as yet. I am in London at present and the watch in question is in Cambridge ! Will get on the case next week, thanking you for your patience. :)

Hi Johnnie ... hope you're OK as we're still waiting for the dimensions.

I have re-read all the topic and the only dimensions we need are A, B, C and  D on my sketch.

The depth on the groove is not really important as only the spring will go inside.

At the moment I have a friend building a custom S-Steel rotating bezel for one of my builds, almost the same you need apart the specific dimensions and the fact that on mine the spring goes in from the underside (no insert on my bezel) and on yours it should go from the upperside (it will be hidden under the bezel insert).

As soon as I receive it I'll post some pics here and explain how it's been made.

Edited by manodeoro

• 4 weeks later...
Hi Manodeoro, so sorry for the delay but I am back now. 
No problem Johnnie [emoji846]
I'm still waiting for the custom steel bezel so I can't take pics at the moment.
When I'll receive I'll put here some pics and the blueprints I produced for the bezel to be built.
Cheers

"Capitale des Gaules" :biggrin: aka Lyon/France

Below is a blueprint I did for  the custom stainless steel bezel of my Jacinthe project.

Still on the lathe but if the final result is OK and fit the watch case I'll post some pics and explain how it's been done.

Of course I'll be glad to help you doing the same process for your Sealion if I can ^_^

550437393_CUSTOMBEZELJACINTHEV1.thumb.jpg.c275237941cbadc36e53a68c06fa1850.jpg

I didn't look at the listing/dimensions closely, just spotted it browsing.  Looks similar..?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Vintage-Ingersoll-Sealion-Racing-Watch/143157900703?hash=item2154e0359f:g:H7AAAOSwHQxcfQ3V:rk:1:pf:0
Lovely watch!  Not exactly one to rob the bezel from [emoji4]
Lovely but looks bigger than the one Johnnie is working on.
It has an internal rotating bezel (thus the 2 crowns) so I wouldn't buy for a bezel swap before asking the seller to give all specs.

Hi Manodeoro. I have had a change of plan ! I have been in London because my kid sister sadly died and it's knocked me sideways. In our chats we talked about everything as you can imagine including watches lol and I was telling her about this forum and how perfect strangers went out of their way to help me. I told her about you and your most kind offer to make me the bezel free of charge! My sister said " you should repay kindness with kindness and give the watch to him" I feel that's what I should do. :biggrin: and so, personal mail me your address and I will send it with my best wishes. It is in good working order and will look great with a new bezel. Best wishes. Johnnie

Hi all,

At first I felt a little embarassed by Johnnie's post but after some PMs with him, speaking about his kid sister, I now know that I can only accept the watch and do my best to give it a new life.

It's a great responsability as now I feel I MUST achieve to build that new bezel ... so I'll do my best, add some "magic" if possible and I hope the "watch fairies" will come to help me in this task.

I'll take great care of that watch, that's the least I can do to honor the memory of Johnnie's sister's, and post pics of the bezel building process and the final result on that thread (please don't be in a hurry as it could take weeks or months to achieve ... I have no idea).

And as I already wrote to Johnnie, the watch will be on my wrist when finished but it will remain his ... or ours if he definitely want it to be mine too ... so whenever he feels the need to have it on his wrist, he just PM me and I'll ship it back to him.

That's why I like that forum so much ... it's not just about watches and horology ... it's also about sharing and friendship, even with people you will probably never meet.

Edited by manodeoro

Hi Manodeoro, I am pleased you will accept the watch. I will pack it and send it by the weekend. Take as long as you like making a bezel lol as I will never ask for it back. Best wishes. Johnnie