Ingersoll sealion

Johnnie

Hi Manodeoro, you are correct, it is the GMT Sealion, and again you are correct about trying to find another bezel! The watch runs very well and it is a shame about the bezel, as it completely transforms the watch. I have looked and looked and have come to the conclusion that I will probably never find the correct bezel. It didn't have a bezel when I got the watch, but did have it's original box,papers/guarantee,and receipt dated Christmas 1977. Maybe a spares or repair GMT Sealion will pop up on eBay! Or probably not lol. If anyone has any ideas concerning the bezel please let me know as I have run out of ideas. 

Hi Manodeoro, you are correct, it is the GMT Sealion, and again you are correct about trying to find another bezel! The watch runs very well and it is a shame about the bezel, as it completely transforms the watch. I have looked and looked and have come to the conclusion that I will probably never find the correct bezel. It didn't have a bezel when I got the watch, but did have it's original box,papers/guarantee,and receipt dated Christmas 1977. Maybe a spares or repair GMT Sealion will pop up on eBay! Or probably not lol. If anyone has any ideas concerning the bezel please let me know as I have run out of ideas. 
I've seen one on catawiki some time ago ... sold for about $100 ... with the bezel

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

• Like 1

Indeed.. they make very little money! That's half the problem. I would like to replace the bezel if possible because I feel sorry for it laying there bezeless and old aged ! Somewhere out there is a replacement bezel looking for my watch. 

What a lovely old watch!  Can't recall ever seeing another.  Totally 100% agree the red bezel completely transforms it, but yes even with my well-honed Googling/watch findings skills I can only find two other examples 1) that one you mention on Catiwiki 2) one linked on 'Worthpoint' that sold on eBay probably yonks ago:

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/mens-vintage-ingersoll-sealion-world-251585167

Tough one there mate.  I'll certainly dig this thread out if i ever spot another on my travels though!

Aww thanks Matt, I had hoped to find a bezel, even e-mailed Ingersoll in the hope they may have one but no! They did email back to say "no go" so that's that. Hi Kevin, I fear you are right ! Shame as she's a decent runner too. And so, she will enter the bottom drawer and reside there until I can get a bezel. The good thing is that one could pop up on eBay at anytime! Thank you all for your comments. Best regards Johnnie

There are a few listed on fleabay in the US. Here's a link to one with the correct box just in case you're interested in having that.

www.ebay.com/itm/VINTAGE-INGERSOLL-TRIUMPH-WATER-PROOF-WRISTWATCH-MENS-C1950S-1960S-WATCH/352541824109?hash=item521521546d:g:paUAAOSweX5cD-BX:rk:11:pf:0

The item is in Aylesford. 

Hi TexasDon. Many thanks for that, I have seen that watch! I have the box and original receipt so don't need the box... If I needed the box that guy would have a shiny NOS bezel lol.

Edited by Johnnie
Misread earlier comment

Hi again Matt, had a look at that Sealion photo, arghhhhh I must get a bezel, she looks a million percent better with bezel ! 
Maybe you could try to source just a coin bezel, those with a "paperclip" retaining spring.
If you can get one that fit the case then it's possible to reproduce an insert in red and black with the white writings (not that easy but possible).

Hi Clockboy. I have taken the measurement 31.1 mm and looked on the web... Probably in all the wrong places! Any guidance as to where to look would be appreciated. 
Is 31.1 the outside or inside diameter of your missing bezel ?

26 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

Hi Manodeoro, the measurement is of the part the bezel fits into! I can't measure the inner size of bezel as I don't have it. Coin bezel ? Not heard of those, please enlighten me.

"coin bezels" as named from the "coin" scallops around the outer size.

Here are some pics of a paperclip-spring bezel and how it's fitted on the case.

BEZEL (downside) and "PAPERCLIP SPRING"

IMG_20170505_162157.thumb.jpg.43d805977ee4b16938a7e662a00d3959.jpg

BEZEL (upside) with the PAPERCLIP SRPING installed in its inner groove

look at the watch case behind ... you can see there is a groove too on the rehaut

IMG_20170505_162221.thumb.jpg.8b496895803715ec9ba19a27fab75c43.jpg

Installing the BEZEL on the watch case

the paperclip spring must be fitted both inside the bezel's groove and the rehaut's groove

IMG_20170505_162611.thumb.jpg.d28fca8099b5c58ef6b432c8d31ebc11.jpg

Check your watch case and if there is a groove deep enough on the rehaut to take a paperclip-spring (if not ... you still  can rework the case on a lathe the make groove deep enough) you should measure :

- the outer diameter of the rehaut (inner diameter of the bezel should be a little larger ... 1/2 mm could be OK

- the diameter of the case where the bezel should sit (outer diameter of the bezel should be about the same)

Then you search for of bezel (coin bezel if possible because it seems the Ingersoll Sealion had a coin bezel) wit hthe right dimensions and that is engineered to be fitted with a paperclip-spring.

If you find one and you can fit it on your watch case I'll explain you how you can rebulid the inser (I'll help you if needed).

For example the bezel below, made for Vostok watches, has a 31.5mm inner diameter and a 39.50mm outside diameter, is fitted with a paperclip spring and can receive an insert (already made or custom made).

Try to find a bezel of the same type with the right dimensions, or have it custo made if you have a mate who has a lathe.

BOB_1.jpg.36d844d173db9938eaf5317ccded3c0a.jpg 

BBB_3.jpg.c27c161a1148d59edc265dfd7e551c68.jpg

33 minutes ago, Johnnie said:

Hi Manodeoro, brilliant, thank you so much for taking the time to help me. I will try to get a coin bezel asap! Many thanks again. Johnnie

You're welcome Johnnie ^_^ I know very little about watches but everything I know has been learned on watch-forums, so the least I can do is to share that on watch-forums.

BTW ... coin or not coin (meaning the scalloped outside) it aint matter.

What is important is that the bezel is fitted on the rehaut with a paperclip spring, like the Vostoks and/or some Seiko ones ... if my guess (that your rehaut has a groove) proves to be right ...

Would you share some side pics of your Sealion ?

and the dimensions that will lead to the right bezel ?

Edited by manodeoro

Not the best photos I am afraid,  but hopefully good enough???
Not the best indeed [emoji6] but good enough to see your rehaut has a groove.
So now you just have to check the required diameter with a caliper and hunt for the fitting bezel.
Hope you'll find one.
Post the measurements here so that other members can tell if thry see a fitting bezel on the web.

10 hours ago, Johnnie said:

Many thanks again, will measure and do a little diagram as my watch terminology isn't up to scratch!:thumbsd:

What you need is at the least the A, B and C dimensions.

If you have a caliper good enough to check C and D, and even the groove depth it will be perfect.

1605202214_INGERSOLLSEALION.jpg.a0121bf7faaa8bc41ff24772b5b89074.jpg