Lc130

Question about cleaning balance jewels

Question

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  I've run the balance jewels from an AS 1700 thru the ultrasonic.  The jewel didn't come out of the setting as it did the last and only time I've done this before.  Should it?  Otherwise, I can image that a bubble can form under the setting preventing any cleaning fluid from getting in.

Thank you

Charlie

8 answers to this question

15 minutes ago, Lc130 said:

Hi All

I'm a beginner.  I've run the balance jewels from an AS 1700 thru the ultrasonic.  The jewel didn't come out of the setting as it did the last and only time I've done this before.  Should it?  Otherwise, I can image that a bubble can form under the setting preventing any cleaning fluid from getting in.

Thank you

Charlie

Hi Charlie

Do you mean that the cap jewel didn't come off - are they Incabloc ?

Unless really stuck with old oil, they usually come off in the ultrasonic.

If not, try prodding them with some pegwood (under fluid so they don't ping off),  or press the cap jewel in to some Rodico.

Mike

2 minutes ago, mikepilk said:

Hi Charlie

Do you mean that the cap jewel didn't come off - are they Incabloc ?

Unless really stuck with old oil, they usually come off in the ultrasonic.

If not, try prodding them with some pegwood (under fluid so they don't ping off),  or press the cap jewel in to some Rodico.

Mike

Yes, Incabloc cap jewels.  Almost microscopic. 

Interestingly, it immediately came apart when I reran it with naptha instead of the cleaning solution that I mixed up from a recipe on this site.  That recipe is distilled water, murphy's soap, ammonia, and cascade.  Certainly safer to have in the house but now I'm wondering if it's optimal??  

Another question:  is it common for the top and bottom incabloc cap jewels to be different?  

The idea of prodding the jewel under fluid is very helpful and non-intuitive.  I've lost count of all my pinged off parts.  Maybe I should take this hobby into the pool:)

Charlie

20 minutes ago, nickelsilver said:

If they are different diameters then it will be clear which goes where. If there is a difference of thickness the thick one always goes on top- in the balance cock. Remember the sound a clock makes- tick tock: thick top. You won't forget!

Very helpful!  Are cap jewels symmetrically shaped or do they have an upside and downside.  Almost impossible to tell with the loupe. 

I've just cleaned a couple myself - I use an old contact lens storage case to keep the jewels separate. 

A drop of lighter fluid, and float in hot water in the ultrasonic. Then rinse in isopropanol