So is this really from 1850 era?

Patthehat

I have a Guztav Becker Mantel clock I bought 40 years ago for my Dad. It was old as dirt then. Bought it from a little ole guy in Downtown Seattle back in 1980ish. Dad past a few years back and I acquired it back. The serial number is 560. That's it. It's Hidden behind the pendulum and it's also stamped P 14. Could it be from 1850?

guts.JPG

back.JPG

front.JPG

dial.JPG

I'm no expert, but that looks very similar to a clock my grandmother had, which would have been late Victorian (1890s from memory), so it is possible yours is a little earlier.

I'm sure someone here could narrow down the date a little better, but you may need to get some close up pictures of the works. Particularly the regulator/pendulum and the striking mechanism. This may require you to remove the clock from the case, if you are comfortable doing this.

This might be of interest.

http://www.clockguy.com/SiteRelated/SiteReferencePages/GustavBeckerHistory.html

• Like 1

Its not that simple to date Gustav Becker clocks they owned more than one production site and each site used different serial numbers, they where also taken over by Junghans and serial numbers again changed, I think your clock would date from 1900-1920 its generally excepted that most online serial number lists refer to clock's only produced at the Frieburg factory and is accurate upto 1900 for that factory only.

There where various ways these later clocks where dated many have a three digit code on the front plate of the movement.

You could ask on the NAWCC web site forums there are plenty of Becker experts on there who are actively trying to produce a serial number list for later Gustav Becker clocks.

• Like 1

Thanks for the pdf, its a incomplete list of logo variations based on know examples and information  at the time, there is a more up to date version circulating on the NAWCC forums that has 17 variations of Gustav Becker trademark from 1852 to 1940(Becker closed in the 1930's but Junghans used up remaining stock until 1940) there are many versions of the logo that look almost identical the following is a interesting thread (very long and ongoing) on Gustav Becker clocks and the mine field that is dating them by serial number's, this is something of a on going project for some NAWCC members who are trying to build a accurate database.

https://mb.nawcc.org/threads/post-your-gustav-becker-clocks-here.10545/

• Like 1

So replies to you all and many thanks. Before I go any further I'm a rookie here so if I ask "too much" just let me know.

Andy Thanks. Old hippy I find it hard to believe but who knows.....Wow! Thanks for the links...The PDF was great. WLS1971 Not ready to Join NAWCC quite yet for $90..But great links and thanks

My gong is identical to the video provided although mine will not trigger the mechanism to chime on the quarter nor hour gongs on it's own. I can trigger chimes and gongs by lightly tapping down on a lever I find 3/4 of the way up the right hand side via the rear. Is there a lever that turns the chimes on and off? See attached pic of trademark, model (I think) and serial number of 560.

close up gb anchor insigna.JPG

• Like 1

You can join the NAWCC website forum and discuss clocks free of charge there are many people just like this site that would be happy to help you with your clock you dont have to be a paid up member of the NAWCC. And any new clock helps those  members who  are compiling a database of serial numbers

The logo on your clock is of a style commonly used between 1914 to 1934 which is really the tail end of Gustav Becker production and encompasses the time when Junghans took control of the company, which is also the time serial numbers went awry and away from the linear numbering system used before, the backplate also has a letter M stamped on the right hand side this is significant and will also allow those in the know to determine the age of the clock.

Junghans took control of GB in 1926 and serial numbers reset starting from number 1 on Westminster chime clock's and 400 day clocks so I would say your clock is a very early Junghans ownership period Westminster chime clock made at the Freiburg factory .

Regarding the striking on your clock if you open the Bezel at the front check to see if there is a cut out along the edge of the dial with a little lever this will be the silent strike switch.

The P14 number on the clock refers to the correct pendulum length to be used with the clock I think this is a metric measurement so would be a 14cm pendulum..

I hope this will help you with your clock.

• Like 3

Many thanks for your insight wls1971. The cutout on the face between the 9 and 10 does have a lever. Moving it up or down seems not to affect anything unfortunately but now I know. And yes after all was said and done I saw the "M" and said hmmmm bet that means something. If you run into my friends Kent and Pollie Phippen in Leeds say hello for me.Thanks again.

• 1 year later...

Marked IIII (4) not IV. The anchor logo seems to be done by hand. No stamp. Absolutely, astonishing to me. My Father, Comanche No Name purchased in Santa Anna, Texas. No one has been able to find ANY info. He purchased this GB Mantel clock in 1982. 

Matching #'s:

#9 on CLOCKWORKS
#9 on KEY
#9 on CASE

Chimes every half hour.
Chimes every hour.
12x at midnight.
It has a BEAUTIFUL chime, and a cherry wood case.
We would greatly appreciate any information you may have, and thank you so very much for your time!

Sincerely,

Robin Crockett Mills

Hi   by the logo its by Gustav Becker  Germany,    Dates Depending on the style of the logo as this changed  I have attached some information on Gustav Becker and pictures of the logos to be able to date the clock.  There should be a serial number also on the back plate which will equate to the list to cross reference the date., 

Antique Clocks Guy_ We bring antique clocks collectors and buyers together. Always the highest quality antique clocks available..html