Free exchange

marcoskaiser

I like the idea, but I know as you do that the forum has a no sales thread, something that I understand but due to the fact that we all seem mature types that like to help each other it's a shame that we don't have a sales/wants section, would be better than ebay sniper/shield bidding that's for sure.

I'm definitely up for this ... really good idea.

Maybe the moderators would agree to create a "swap section" or "exchange section" (name it as you want), no sales of course, only free exchange.

Members could offer tools or parts there for free exchange an tell what they are searching for.
One should specify the location, just to keep the shipping fees as low as possible.

Envoyé de mon Moto G (5) Plus en utilisant Tapatalk

Gentle question: what’s the issue with a sales section? You can put whatever rules in place you like to dissuade traders such as max number of items a year for example, but could be a useful feature for tools and parts. Provided it’s managed I can’t see a huge problem. It’s not my forum and I’m happy to go with the rules btw, so please note I’m not complaining, just asking. [emoji56]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Pip said:

Gentle question: what’s the issue with a sales section? You can put whatever rules in place you like to dissuade traders such as max number of items a year for example, but could be a useful feature for tools and parts. Provided it’s managed I can’t see a huge problem. It’s not my forum and I’m happy to go with the rules btw, so please note I’m not complaining, just asking. emoji56.png

+1

I would rather offer things within the community than ebay.  On other forums it works well, I don't understand why it wouldn't be viewed as a positive. 

As for this thread...exchange or swapping is still selling, just not for a fiat currency.  Seems to me if that's ok, being able to exchange for a currency would be far more efficient, sort of why they were invented :)

Edited by measuretwice

I too would like to see a sales thread on the forum, as had been said it works elsewhere. I would like to think that we are all honest and going to see anyone off but it only takes one bad apple to spoil it for everyone else.

i have in the past received and given parts to other members all free and through PMs  with no problems, who knows maybe it will take off.

There are other sites that have sales and swap threads but I for one am glad that this forum has refrained from such a section, the amount of petty bickering, and squabbling that they cause on some forums is noticeable, this forum gets quite a few one question members pop up ask a question never to be heard from again having a sales and swap thread would I think encourage similar, members join up see whats on offer, and make no contribution to the forum and take what they need.

It would also put a extra headache upon the shoulders of the site moderators.

My opinion is that the site is fine as it is.

Edited by wls1971

23 minutes ago, wls1971 said:

There are other sites that have sales and swap threads but I for one am glad that this forum has refrained from such a section, the amount of petty bickering, and squabbling that they cause on some forums is noticeable, this forum gets quite a few one question members pop up ask a question never to heard from again having a sales and swap thread would I think encourage similar, members join up see whats on offer, and make no contribution to the forum and take what they need.

It would also put a extra headache upon the shoulder of the site moderators.

I used to have the same question about lack of a section for sale or trade in this forum, then I thought of some answers, I now think, that is how this forum is safe from infections usual on the Net.

Totally agree with everyone’s view on this being for or against, as a member of RWG forum that have a sales thread for watches/parts and straps and everything else it seems to work very well. It is well managed and you have to of been a member for a certain amount of time and have a certain post count before you can even get access to these sub forums.

There are other rules to stick by which I won’t into now as it’s another forum, there has been time when there have been the charlotten but the mods have been all over it and found ISP addresses and blocked them and also spread the news to sister sites so they are area of said people.

a lot of work for the mods if you go all in with a similar set up as that of RWG. I’ll leave it there for now.

There are other sites that have sales and swap threads but I for one am glad that this forum has refrained from such a section, the amount of petty bickering, and squabbling that they cause on some forums is noticeable, this forum gets quite a few one question members pop up ask a question never to be heard from again having a sales and swap thread would I think encourage similar, members join up see whats on offer, and make no contribution to the forum and take what they need.
It would also put a extra headache upon the shoulders of the site moderators.

Very good point...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There are lots of sites with petty bickering through out, imo its the culture of the site that sets this not a classifieds area.  As for attracting the 'wrong crowd' or 'post and runs', have something like a min 20 post rule before you can access the section or post there.  I believe many forum software packages off those options.  Personally wouldn't buy from someone who didn't have a posting history, i.e. wasn't a stakeholder in the community here.  Other than that, the forum provides the venue as really great service and all activity is caveat emptor.

For someone wanting to sell, is there a horology forum that offers a classifieds section, or are local classifieds/ebay the only option? 

Edited by measuretwice

This subject has been debated many times. The issue is if not careful the site would just become a FREE eBay/auction site. We will attract members who are only interested in selling or buying. The concept of this site is for those who wish to repair and also for general horological enthusiasts. 

• Like 1

Perhaps only members with a reasonable contribution rate or length of membership could join the swap shop or trade section. This would weed out the members who are only interested in selling or buying. Sometimes looking for spares even for a common movement can be a nightmare and then find its cheaper to purchase a complete scrap movement. I suspect all enthusiasts on this forum have lots of spares that they might never use. With regard to tools I would think this would be useful to a lesser extent because we all like to keep backup tools and we are natural hoarders so not very much would be available.

• Like 1

Haha, inveterate hoarders we certainly are! There seems to be no great consensus on a sales forum, fair enough and ultimately Mark’s call. There are plenty of forums (fora?) out there that do have them, I’m a member of a couple of others and have bought the odd interesting piece.

In any case, I come here for the insights and the help and the inspiration provided by many, often on subjects I had no prior knowledge of. (Wig wag tools anyone?!!). Anything else would just be a bonus. If I need parts I guess I can always ask, if that’s not considered too impolite amongst friendly watchmakers?
[emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk